Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > AG to Extract help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2012, 06:56 AM   #1
matth3w303
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default AG to Extract help

After looking at a few recipes and visiting my LHBS I came up with a list of ingredients to a Stout I would like to brew. Being new to brewing I am currently in the extract stage. So essentially I'm looking for help/suggestions/info on a DME and/or LME info in place or with use of grains, or if my "idea" will work. I think I'm just looking for some critique and suggestion on what I am over doing, not doing, should be doing. My intention isn't to just ask for someone to build me a recipe but to make sure I'm structured. Thanks for any help.

The eventual 5 gallon recipe I have come up with, I'm hoping, will consist of

2-row pale malt (2-3lbs)
Crystal Malt (2-3lbs)
Black and/or
Briess special Roasted Barley (6-8oz)
English Chocolate malt (10-12oz)
Caramel Malt (8-12oz)
maybe Honey malt (1-3oz)
maybe some oats (.5-1lbs)
and Maltodextrin (?)
any tip/suggestion about Irish Moss?
I'm unsure about the amount of each ingredient but specifically on the 2-row, Crystal, and Maltodextrin

The hops I plan on using are
Northern Brewer (.5-1oz)
Challenger or Galena (.5-1oz)
Willamette or Columbus (.5-1oz)

Undecided on Yeast, probably just American Ale.

A AG recipe I noticed also called for Dextrin Malt. Is this essentially added to all extracts? I planned on steeping 8-10oz CaraPils (dextrin) to start everything off anyways. It's really just a side question.

Would it be okay if
1.) I steeped the final choice of grains together
2.) Threw in a mixture of Light/Pilsner and dark LME/DRE ( I was thinkinng Light/Pilsner LME , and then a regular/special/extra dark consisting of one being a LME and the other being DME) or maybe just doing a Light with Dark or Amber. I kinda felt as if I was trying to be to creative with this part.
3.) Added my hops at different stages
My planned fermentation temp was 65F-70F. Any suggestions on Fermentation time, if I should secondary, and how long it should be bottled for?

Would this work or would this be just a recipe for disaster (stick that in your carboy and ferment it, but really excuse the pun haha)

Please excuse that this is basically a box brew, but that is my training background. Cheers!

Oh, because I've only been a member of this forum for a month MUST mean I've only been doing it for that long. Ya, I do enjoy Coors. It's cheap by the glass/pitcher and it keeps me hydrated while I get pissed. It's really nice to drink on a hot day. It's not to bad to boil brats in as well. Stop being a snob. FACT: No one likes a snob. I assure you, I am not the red neck my profile picture suggests.

Last edited by matth3w303; 02-29-2012 at 09:05 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
jester5120
The Vanilla Gorilla
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 20

for the AG recipe i would swap out the crystal malt for more 2-row. The rest of the specialty grains should be fairly ok. Willamette and columbus are the type of hops i use in stouts so i would recommend those. I wouldn't use irish moss because you won't really be able to tell since the beer is so dark.

Kegged Hip Hop IPA, Chocolate Cream Stout

Old 02-29-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
matth3w303
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester5120 View Post
for the AG recipe i would swap out the crystal malt for more 2-row. The rest of the specialty grains should be fairly ok. Willamette and columbus are the type of hops i use in stouts so i would recommend those. I wouldn't use irish moss because you won't really be able to tell since the beer is so dark.
Thanks, how many pounds of the 2-row? I was thinking about still using the Crystal. Maybe 5lbs 2-row and 1lbs Crystal? Or do you think with that little Crystal it wouldn't even be noticed, or was there a primary reason as to not using the Crystal to begin with?

Oh, because I've only been a member of this forum for a month MUST mean I've only been doing it for that long. Ya, I do enjoy Coors. It's cheap by the glass/pitcher and it keeps me hydrated while I get pissed. It's really nice to drink on a hot day. It's not to bad to boil brats in as well. Stop being a snob. FACT: No one likes a snob. I assure you, I am not the red neck my profile picture suggests.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:17 PM   #4
jester5120
The Vanilla Gorilla
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Crystal and caramel malts are very similar. If you use too much of either the beer will get dark and won't dry out much. I would use one or the other and not use more than a pound.

Kegged Hip Hop IPA, Chocolate Cream Stout

Quick Reply