Advice on hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
I'm about to brew an IPA for my wedding coming up. What do you think of this hop schedule for an IPA with the following stats:

OG: 1.057
FG: 1.015
IBU: 64

Columbus - .5 oz 60 min
Simcoe - .5 oz 30 min
Amarillo - .5 oz 15 min
Simcoe - .5 oz 5 min
Amarillo - .5 oz 5 min
Amarillo - 1 oz 0 min

DH:
1 oz Amarillo
1 oz Simcoe
.50 oz Columbus

The .5 ounce simcoe at 30 minutes is sort of a waste in my opinion. You won't get much bittering from it, and you won't get much flavor either with a 30 minute addition.

If you need more bitterness (IBUs), increase the 60 minute addition. I'd move the simcoe to 20 minutes or later in the boil, to get flavor from it.

I'd change it up just a tad, like this:

Columbus - .5 oz 60 min (or whatever you need to keep your IBUs where you want- maybe .75 ounce, I didn't look at the numbers)
Simcoe - .5 oz 15 min
Amarillo - .5 oz 10 min
Simcoe - .5 oz 5 min
Amarillo - .5 oz 5 min
Amarillo - 1 oz 0 min

Hey Yoop I appreciate the advice...Any reason I should do Simcoe at 15 rather than Simcoe at 20 then Amarillo at 15? What would be the difference in this outline from yours?

Columbus (bittering oz depending on needed IBU)
Simcoe .5 at 20
Amarillo .5 at 15
Simcoe/Amarillo .5 at 5
Amarillo 1 oz at 0 min

Also, is amarillo or simcoe beter as a big flavoring addition at 20?

Hey Yoop I appreciate the advice...Any reason I should do Simcoe at 15 rather than Simcoe at 20 then Amarillo at 15? What would be the difference in this outline from yours?

Columbus (bittering oz depending on needed IBU)
Simcoe .5 at 20
Amarillo .5 at 15
Simcoe/Amarillo .5 at 5
Amarillo 1 oz at 0 min

Also, is amarillo or simcoe beter as a big flavoring addition at 20?

The difference between 20 and 15 minutes isn't much, so you probably won't notice a big difference. I mix amarillo and simcoe together all the time, and love it!

Ok, sorry for this I had to change everything because apparently there is a shortage on Amarillo/Simcoe and I couldn't source any at my lhb. I haven't brewed in 6 months or longer because of planning for this wedding. Anyway, I had a the double ipa from BB last weekend and they used fuggel hops at some point according to the website. So with that in mind I have added them to this recipe. Let me know what you think of this?

.75 columbus at 60
.75 centennial at 15
.50 centennial at 5
.75 fuggel at 0

DH:
.25 columbus
.25 fuggel
.75 centennial

Ok, sorry for this I had to change everything because apparently there is a shortage on Amarillo/Simcoe and I couldn't source any at my lhb. I haven't brewed in 6 months or longer because of planning for this wedding. Anyway, I had a the double ipa from BB last weekend and they used fuggel hops at some point according to the website. So with that in mind I have added them to this recipe. Let me know what you think of this?

.75 columbus at 60
.75 centennial at 15
.50 centennial at 5
.75 fuggel at 0

DH:
.25 columbus
.25 fuggel
.75 centennial

While fuggle hops are great theyll get drown out pretty bad by the Centennial and Columbus. Personally, Id use centennial for the 0 min, and bump the Columbus dry hop.

I was worried about the fuggel getting covered, should I dry hop the ounce of fuggel - I've got them now.

Back