Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Advice with acid addition at bottling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012, 11:25 PM   #1
GhettoDickens
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Advice with acid addition at bottling

I am ready to bottle my peach/raspberry saison, but I am debating acid additions. When reading about adding fruit when brewing, I remember reading from multiple sources (usually forums posts) that acid can be added at bottling to add some tartness that will accentuate the raspberry flavor (to make the dull rasp flavor more exciting). The trouble is, I can't remember what they recommended for the acid.

I was thinking lactic, my roommate says citric, and I know there are a few more options. What would people suggest I use. I plan on adding small increments to a test sample and sizing that up to a bottle, and adding individual additions to each bottle. Thoughts? Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 04:04 AM   #2
kingwood-kid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The other main options are tartaric (grape) and malic (apple), or you can buy a blend. Raspberries are naturally high in citric, but sour beers are typically lactic. Personally, I don't think it makes much difference which one you use; your tongue will process all of them as sour. Dissolved CO2 is also acidic, and serving it cold will mute the other, more subtle flavors, so make the beer a little less acidic than what tastes best flat and warm.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in the BJCP's philosophy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply