Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Adding Whiskey to My Brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2013, 04:05 AM   #1
mdd71699
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adding Whiskey to My Brew

I've brewed 5 batches of the Northern Brewers Irish Red and obviously am rather fond of it....as are my family and friends. I've been reading about adding whiskey (Jameson) to the brew. Some threads I've read say to add it during the secondary and others during the bottling process. I'm looking for a little clarity to what would be the best route.I'm not planning on using oak chips...just adding the Jameson. Any and all advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2013, 04:11 AM   #2
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Hmmm sounds good. I would add it at flameout. Just make sure you don't go above 10% alcohol as most ale yeast can't handle that high ABV.

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
mdd71699
Recipes 

Default Adding Whiskey to an Irish Red

I've brewed 5 batches of the Northern Brewers Irish Red and obviously am rather fond of it....as are my family and friends. I've been reading about adding whiskey (Jameson) to the brew. Some threads I've read say to add it during the secondary and others during the bottling process. I'm looking for a little clarity to what would be the best route.I'm not planning on using oak chips...just adding the Jameson. Any and all advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 03-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
RDbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Depending on how much you add and the yeast strain, adding it too early could affect fermentation by raising the alcohol level. As in 1gal or more in a 5gal batch (which I don't think you plan on doing!)

Other than that I would add it to bottle bucket for two reasons:
1 I don't see any benefit to adding it to secondary, but you do have the added risk of infection by removing the stopper/cap/whatever you use.
2 You can ensure an even blend in the bottle bucket and take samples as you add more to determine the perfect amount.

Primary: DFH 60min
Secondaries: Orange Honey Wheat
Bottled: Apfelwein, Irish Deadred

Coming Soon: Kentucky Rye

Old 03-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

There is really no reason to add it at any time prior to bottling but keep in mind conditioning time will take longer for the added whiskey to mellow in the bottled beer.

I used 375ml of bourbon in Denny's Bourbon Vanilla Porter recipe and it was a perfect amount for 6 gallons of beer and I allowed it to condition about 3 months in the bottle-turned out fantastic!

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 03-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

For my wee heavy, I prepare about an ounce of oak chips for a five gallon batch by heat sanitizing it in the oven. I put them on a cookie sheet and bake them on the lowest oven setting (200f) for about thirty minutes or so. Then, I sanitize a small 4 oz. jelly jar and add the oak chips to it after baking. Then, I pour two mini bottles of Johnny Walker Red whiskey over the chips and seal the jelly jar lid. I let the chips sit for a week in a dark cabinet while the beer is in it's third week on the yeast cake. Then, I pour the chips into a sanitized hops bag with a sanitized quartz river stone in it to weigh it down and toss the bag of chips into the primary for the last week (five to seven days). I start taste testing the beer after three days to gauge the flavor and bottle/keg the beer when it's juuuust starting to taste a little too strong/over oaked. Oak flavor fades over time, so after three weeks of keg/bottle conditioning, it should be just about right in your beer.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:25 AM   #7
mdd71699
Recipes 

Thanks for the advise! I'm going o go with 8 oz of Jameson and see how it turns out.....

Old 03-28-2013, 02:25 AM   #8
mdd71699
Recipes 

Thanks!

Old 03-28-2013, 02:45 AM   #9
Hoser_brewing
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I've made up a bourbon oatmeal stout which got 1 oz whiskey per bottle, an amount I came to by doing taste tests - 35 mL beer and a 5 mL syringe to get the level right. It was really nice and subtle at 1/3 oz, pronounced at 2/3, and bloody huge and delicious at a full oz.

Always fun to do those tests too...

Gotta get the beer ready for hockey season. And it's ALWAYS hockey season.

Quick Reply