Adding to an Oktoberfest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigragu

Reaction score
I'm brewing an Oktoberfest from an extract kit... Is there anything I can add (ie. Hops, spices, etc) to make ut a little more interesting? Also how can I bump up the ABV? I'm a beginning brewer only having brewed 4 brews and would appreciate the feedback! Thanks

Just curious but why would you want to take a beer which is arguably one of the world's greatest styles and make it more "interesting"? Frankly if you want a hoppy-er or higher alcohol beer the simplest and best solution IMO is to brew a different style that meets those qualifications. You can do whatever you want as a homebrewer but my miserable old SOB advice to a novice is to concentrate on technique at this point along with learning more about styles and ingredients. Wax on...wax off. :mug:

Thanks for the advice. I was just curious and an excited beginning brewer.

Agree with above. Although not a big Lager fan, a well done Okto is a great treat to be left as as. Why buy kits if you are going to tinker?

I agree totally with the above, a well made Marzen is a thing of beauty. I am also not a fan of upping ABV for it's own sake... if a higher ABV is the natural outcome of a particular beer (doppelbock for instance), great... however, there is something to be said for "session beers", I want to be able to enjoy a few without having to worry about being useless for the rest of the day!

All that being said, the beginner's mindset (I do not mean that in anyway disparaging!) is a great thing as well. Too many times experienced brewers get hung up and perfecting some process, nailing every parameter of a particular style, etc. The wonderment of brewing without boundaries can get lost. If you want to do something wacky, check out some of Papazian's recipes, Goat Scrotum Ale is a great jumping off point for that sort of thing.

Thanks for the advice. Its not that I don't want to follow a recipe exact. Ive done a handful to the exact specs...some turned out and some didn't. I just finished a Blueberry Ale which tastes phenomenal. I also would like to play around with a recipe to kind of make it my own spin somehow. I think im going to check out some of Papasain's books.

I agree with you. Ive caught myself wanting to "tweak" extract kits. I've only done two extracts And I added oatmeal to a stout for the last one. I feel like I should of left it alone and just concentrated on technique. My goal is to go all grain and create my own recipes. But I need more experience, and time with the extracts. Not only to gain some technique. But to educate myself with all the different ingredients that it takes to brew different types of beers. It's such an awesome hobby. I just want to look at a beer in a frosty mug and say..."that's my god damn beer." haha...I'd also like to drink the thing too. :mug:

IanPC ... drinking a brew that you made yourself not only tastes good if it comes out right... it tastes even better because you made it yourself too! I really do enjoy this hobby.

Jtegedor.... Its just the can of Oktoberfest extract, yeast and the priming sugar booster. I'm using up my last two extract kits before I start some partial mash brews.

Latest posts

Back