Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > adding liquor to make a "sipping beer"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2011, 07:48 PM   #1
BaronIV
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default adding liquor to make a "sipping beer"

OK, so heres my idea. I was thinking of making some kind of barleywine style beer somewhere in the "amber" spectrum and once its fermented out, adding some kind of alcohol to boost the abv, but also help keep it smooth. I was thinking some sort of high end sipping whiskey or rum. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on the idea? feel free to tell me this is just a stupid idea too. (i randomly thought of this while laying in bed one day.)

and also i plan on bottling this out of my keg so i can have a very small, yet noticable amount of carbonation in the beverage. I was thinking just over 1 volume.

p.s. i would like this to something that i pour over ice and am able to sip on like i nice whiskey (but still be drinking beer).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2011, 10:52 PM   #2
BrewStooge
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

An interesting idea, but frankly I'd think any amount that would make a notable increase in abv would overtake the beer flavor pretty quick.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:20 PM   #3
BeerLogic
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I think this sounds great. I would go with an intense Scotch like the 12 year Laphroaig with a lot of peat smoke and spice. A smoky, super-high abv barleywine would definitely be something different.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:21 PM   #4
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerLogic View Post
I think this sounds great. I would go with an intense Scotch like the 12 year Laphroaig with a lot of peat smoke and spice. A smoky, super-high abv barleywine would definitely be something different.
It would just taste like scotch then.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:25 PM   #5
BeerLogic
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I dunno, would have to experiment. A fifth or two in five gallons shouldn't be that overpowering unless it's a really wimpy barleywine. I guess you could get the same flavors by using some peat smoked malt, throwing some toasted oak in the secondary, and boosting the abv with neutral spirits. This way you can control the oak and smoke balance without having to experiment with several recipes.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:04 AM   #6
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 492 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Why not just make a super high gravity beer? Ferment with a turbo yeast to get everything out of it. Did this with a Triple Bock used three types of yeast last being a turbo up to 23% at that point it wouldn't carbonate. Strong like a brandy, was good cold, never tried it on ice...........my .02

Old 06-06-2011, 02:10 AM   #7
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewStooge View Post
An interesting idea, but frankly I'd think any amount that would make a notable increase in abv would overtake the beer flavor pretty quick.
Allagash curieux is the tripel aged in bourbon barrels and gets about a 2% abv boost from the bourbon, along with some color. It's the same effect as just adding bourbon. At least that's what the rep told me.

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Old 06-06-2011, 02:13 AM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

You mean like a bourbon stout?!? It's not like it's all that rare....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-06-2011, 02:19 AM   #9
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaksnbeer View Post
Why not just make a super high gravity beer? Ferment with a turbo yeast to get everything out of it.
Definitely don't use turbo yeast to start the fermentation. In fact, I wouldn't use it at all - it produces some pretty nasty stuff.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:32 AM   #10
BaronIV
Recipes 

Thanks for the input everyone, i may just try the smoked peat moss and oak idea to get some of the flavors i want. Like i said, i just thought of the idea while laying in bed.

Quick Reply