Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Adding Jack Daniels

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2008, 04:44 PM   #1
Austin_
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Adding Jack Daniels

I'm trying to formulate a recipe (Partial Mash) for a good bourbon stout or porter to keep me warm on the cool nights this winter. I want to add some Jack Daniels before bottling to give it an extra kick. I'm also toying with adding some oak chips in the secondary, though I'm not sure if the charcoal flavor of the Jack mixed with the oak chips might be too much. I've never done anything or tasted anything like this before as I am still a newb.

1) How much whiskey is a good amount? I am not afraid of having a strong whiskey taste and it would actually be preferred. I was thinking of maybe adding a fifths worth into the bottling bucket.

2) Does adding the whiskey at bottling affect bottling condition at all? Is more or less sugar needed? What about time?

3) Just out of curiosity, but is there anyway to determine the abv of the beer after I have added the whiskey?

4) Finally, does anyone know of any good recipes like this that I can look at for ispiration? This is only the third recipe I have formulated and I need a little guidance.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2008, 05:11 PM   #2
Bopper
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_LSU View Post
I'm trying to formulate a recipe (Partial Mash) for a good bourbon stout or porter to keep me warm on the cool nights this winter. I want to add some Jack Daniels before bottling to give it an extra kick. I'm also toying with adding some oak chips in the secondary, though I'm not sure if the charcoal flavor of the Jack mixed with the oak chips might be too much. I've never done anything or tasted anything like this before as I am still a newb.

1) How much whiskey is a good amount? I am not afraid of having a strong whiskey taste and it would actually be preferred. I was thinking of maybe adding a fifths worth into the bottling bucket.

2) Does adding the whiskey at bottling affect bottling condition at all? Is more or less sugar needed? What about time?

3) Just out of curiosity, but is there anyway to determine the abv of the beer after I have added the whiskey?

4) Finally, does anyone know of any good recipes like this that I can look at for ispiration? This is only the third recipe I have formulated and I need a little guidance.

Thanks!
Northern Brewer has a Bourbon Barrel Porter which I have in secondary right now with Oak Chips. I added 16oz of Makers Mark and 2 oz of Med Plus toasted oak. Be careful with the oak - only leave it on for 2-4 weeks at most (taste it along the way and rack when it's where you like it). It takes a LONG time for oak flavor to fade of you go too much. Remember, a little oak goes a long way.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:39 PM   #3
Brakeman_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Another alternative I have seen is soaking your oak chips in the whiskey prior to racking onto them, though this may not impart as much bourbon flavor as you may be looking for, it will still make a great oaked brew.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:08 PM   #4
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 29

jack daniels makes oak bbq chips you can use for smoking and im guessing maybe for brewing also....oak is oak

Old 09-25-2008, 06:17 PM   #5
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 309 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 214

My calculations as to how much a fifth of Jack will change your abv.

JD: 750mL (a fifth)x 40% abv = 300ml alcohol = 0.3L

Beer: (assume 5%abv and 5 gallons (19L)). = 0.95L alcohol

Adding the two together: = 0.3L + 0.95L = 1.25L alcohol
and 19L+.75L = 19.75L total volume

so the abv of the the beer/JD mix would be: 1.25L/19.75L = 0.063 = 6.3%abv

Old 09-25-2008, 07:04 PM   #6
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would add 4 oz at a time in the secondary or bucket until you are satisfied with the taste. Once it's in there it's hard to take it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Quick Reply