Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Adding Honey in the Final Minute of Boil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2008, 03:00 PM   #1
OrangeCatBrewery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adding Honey in the Final Minute of Boil

I just made a Honey Weizen from Northern Brewer. The recipe called for adding 1lb of honey in the final minute. What is the best procedure for adding an ingredient for the last minute?

I removed the wort from the burner, added the honey, put the wort back on the burner, brought it back up to a boil and then counted down the minute.

Did I do it properly? Should I have added the honey while it was still boiling? Did I need to bring it back up to a boil?

My concern is that I overboiled the honey. When you remove food from an oven it still cooks before it cools down. Does wort work in the same manner?

Im sure the beer will end up fine, but any advice would be appreciated.

THANKS!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2008, 05:54 PM   #2
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would say add it while it was still boiling, this would help to physically mix the honey in instead of it just falling to the bottom of the pot and scorching. They most likely say to add it to the last minuet so it will mix in properly without removing too much of the honey character.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:21 PM   #3
FatMonsters
Recipes 

I usually add honey at flameout, so I'll turn off the flame and then add the honey and stir it in. Not vigorously stir either, you don't want to aerate when its that hot.

I would just add it at the last minute while the flame is on and take care to stir so that it mixes in.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:51 PM   #4
OrangeCatBrewery
Recipes 

That question has been gnawing at me. Thanks to both of you for the input.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:00 PM   #5
SweetSchalls
Recipes 

I just brewed Dogfish Head's Midas Touch clone, and that recipe says that you should stir in the honey at strikeout, and wait 5 minutes before cooling.
Hope that helps

Old 05-20-2008, 07:10 PM   #6
carl spakler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There is no need to be concerned about the honey introducing potential for infection with little to no boiling time?

Old 05-20-2008, 08:54 PM   #7
A4J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl spakler View Post
There is no need to be concerned about the honey introducing potential for infection with little to no boiling time?
You only need to heat the honey to 161F for ~30secs to pasteurize, so no, there's no concern for bacterial infection if you add honey at flameout.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:11 PM   #8
muenchk
Recipes 

Hello all. I've been lurking for a while, reading posts and I'm pretty impressed with the amount of sage advice dished out. So here goes to hoping someone has an answer

I'm a newbie and I'm brewing my first belgian wit. It was in the primary fermenter for about 3 days and I decided to add 1lb of honey. The guy at the supply shop said I didn't need to pasteurize since honey has a natural antibiotic. So I just added the honey straight out of the container, right into the primary fermenter. It's been 2 days since, and everything seems fine. The fermenting kicked up dramatically after adding the honey and stayed strong for about 1 day.

My question is...did I introduce bacteria? Do you all think it'll be ok? I'm guessing so...but am a bit worried because I didn't dissolve the honey in water, just sort of gooped it into the primary.

And secondly...do you think it's a good mix? Honey and a belgian wit?

Reason: forgot my second question!

Old 06-27-2009, 12:10 AM   #9
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
My question is...did I introduce bacteria? Do you all think it'll be ok? I'm guessing so...but am a bit worried because I didn't dissolve the honey in water, just sort of gooped it into the primary.
You're fine. No real bacterial concern and the yeast will attack the sugars.

Quote:
And secondly...do you think it's a good mix? Honey and a belgian wit?
Sure, but a bit late for this question, no?

My Beer Cellar

Old 06-27-2009, 05:46 PM   #10
muenchk
Recipes 

Thanks JLem. Yep. Totally late for the question! But you know how it is. You lay awake at night thinking "was that a stupid thing that I did? I wonder if it's going to ruin the taste?"

So thanks for the comforting words!

Quick Reply