Adding fruit to a kegged crappy American Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shane23

Reaction score
I brewed and kegged an American Wheat and it tastes like crap (crap to me). I'm not sure if it is because of my recipe or a slight infection. I was thinking about trying to add strwberries to the keg to add a more appealing flavor and cover up the flavor I'm not liking. Can I do that? Any tips would help. Thanks.

shane

Fruit in the keg is probably a very bad idea. It would clog things like crazy.

If you just want to add flavor consider adding some extracts. But be careful with those too, most people agree use half the manufacturer recommended dosage.

IMO - Just leave it alone. The batches I've made and not cared for tend to taste better and better the more of them I drink...in one sitting.

I agree extract works very well. However, I have added fruit to the keg before without any problem. First, hit the beer with some potassium sorbate (or metabisulfite to kill the yeast) to keep the yeast from undergoing replication. Then, take your fruit of choice (preferably in juice), blend and/or liquify and pasteurize. I filtered mine through a hop bag before and after pasteurizing and then added the remaining juice straight to the keg. It really helped with my beer (a wheat as well actually).

I was thinking I could add frozen strawberries to it in a hop bag since technically you dont have to pasteurize frozen fruit. What kind of problems would I have with that. I've tried artificial flavoring and didn't care for it. I'm supposed to be serving it at my wedding on sat along with a smoked porter and two comercial kegs. I would hate to have an empty tap.

I would still pasteurize frozen fruit. Just because it is frozen doesn't mean it is sanitized. Little nasties can live in the freezer.

Back