The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Adding Cinnamon to Brown Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2010, 06:01 PM   #1
basement_brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adding Cinnamon to Brown Ale

I recently brewed up a batch of Nut Brown Ale.. I really wanted to add some cinnamon flavor but my dad is slightly allergic to cinnamon so couldnt add anything into the beer before bottling because I plan on sharing a good amount with him.
My question is how is the best way to add some cinnamon flavor now. I have about 5 days left before Im going to bottle my beer. I'm thinking of bottling half and then adding ground cinnamon into the bottling bucket, mixing and continue bottling but i wanted to make sure cinnamon wouldnt distrupt the carbonation process and if this is the best way to do it. Thanks

Also I would be adding cinnamon flavor to apox. 2.5 gallons. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 08:21 PM   #2
Oldsock
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I would make a tea with the cinnamon and some hot water. Let it steep for ~5 minutes, then strain through a coffee filter. Mix some with a measured amount of beer and adjust from there to get the balance you want. Then scale up and mix the tea into the bottling bucket after you bottle the first “clean” half.

This method allows you to tweak the flavor so you don’t over/under do it, and it gets the little bits of cinnamon out of the bottle. You could also try a longer extraction with vodka at room temp, but I’ve been happy with the spice tea method. Good luck.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Old 12-14-2010, 12:42 PM   #3
dzlater
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 109

At the local brew pub they coat the glass rim with cinnamon on their winter warmer like salt on a margarita glass.

Quick Reply