Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > adding chocolate to beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2012, 02:11 PM   #31
MZRIS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

My buddy did a white chocolate stout and melted about 1lb of white chocolate in a pan, and then poured that into his carboy. he then quickly swirled the chocolate around in the carboy creating a nice thin layer on the bottom and almost 1/4 way up the carboy. he then transferred his wort into that carboy for primary fermentation. The final product had lil pieces of white chocolate particulate suspended in the beer. Very tasty!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 11:14 PM   #32
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZRIS View Post
My buddy did a white chocolate stout and melted about 1lb of white chocolate in a pan, and then poured that into his carboy. he then quickly swirled the chocolate around in the carboy creating a nice thin layer on the bottom and almost 1/4 way up the carboy. he then transferred his wort into that carboy for primary fermentation. The final product had lil pieces of white chocolate particulate suspended in the beer. Very tasty!!
Yikes! That's quite a bit of fat in the beer, no? I would have been quick to taste it...

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Old 08-17-2012, 03:23 AM   #33
shanek17
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZRIS View Post
white chocolate... weird never heard of such a brew! I can still remember being a kid on easter morning and chowing down on a white chocolate easter bunny Probably not something I would put in my brew lol

I was reading a health website about chocolate and they mentioned about white chocolate not even being real chocolate at all.

I wasn't ready for parenthood so I took a class on making beer babies, finally something to nuture!

Old 08-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #34
MZRIS
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Well i got to say it was a very tasty brew the white chocolate bits complimented the stout's flavor profile and balanced out the hoppy bitterness. it was like a sweet stout really. The mouth feel was great and the white chocolate bits seemed to melt quickly in your mouth so the flavor was throughout the sip and a particularly great after taste.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:44 AM   #35
gwdraper4
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanek17 View Post
I was reading a health website about chocolate and they mentioned about white chocolate not even being real chocolate at all.
You are right...white chocolate is actually cacao butter, sugar, milk solids, and salt where the sugar actually makes up about 50% of the weight. My guess is that during fermentation the sugar fermented out leaving some of the milk solids and cacao butter, which would remain slightly chunky throughout the process. Very interesting experiment.

Life is too short to drink crappy beer@
Kegged: Super Hoppy Red Ale, IPA
Bottle: Barleywine, Belgian Chocolate Red
Fermenting: India Brown, Pale Ale

Old 10-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #36
Herky21
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwdraper4 View Post
I've used cacao nibs, dark baker's chocolate, and chocolate powder. Here are my experiences:
-Chocolate Powder: Came in a Ghirardelli canister. Added 1/3 pound at flameout in a porter. Fermenter looked really "gunky" and murky, but the final flavor was pretty decent...not great, but decent
-Baker's Chocolate: Added a medium sized bar (chopped) at the end of boil. Pretty much the same experience as the powder, but the flavor was a little more true chocolate flavor.
-Cacao Nibs: Added 4oz. like a dry hop and left in for 7 days. Really nice aroma and very dark chocolate taste. This is my favorite way to impart chocolate flavor and aroma. I think a combo of this and baker's chocolate at flameout would be really nice.

Cheers!
Thank you for posting this. I have a stout going that I'm going to add chocolate into in the secondary. I'm planning to dissolve a 4 ounce bakers bar [100% cocoa] into either one cup of dark rum or 1 cup of bourbon, and age that with 2 vanilla beans to be added to the secondary with 1 cup of cold pressed coffee. Then at bottling, I am going to add about .60-.75 oz. of chocolate extract. I will incorporate nibs after reading your post, probably 2-4 oz. for dry hopping, depending on the flavor of my homemade extract after its mixed in the wort for a week or so.

*I have a dry stout, about 7% alcohol, with 1 pound of chocolate malt in the grain bill.

Do you know how big your medium sized bar was?

also, do you remember the brands of either the baker's bar or the nibs? I found a Ghiradelli cocoa bar that seems like it would work well.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:00 AM   #37
meltroha
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Does anyone know how much adding chocolate to the boil will raise the abv by? My recipe making program doesn't have chocolate as an option, or I can't find it.

Cheers,
Mel
@melt616

Old 10-21-2012, 03:27 PM   #38
sfrisby
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltroha
Does anyone know how much adding chocolate to the boil will raise the abv by? My recipe making program doesn't have chocolate as an option, or I can't find it.
Did you ask this question recently. I remember reading this exact question not too long ago somewhere. If there is no sugar being added(I.E.nibs or powder) then it won't change the ABV. No sugar to ferment.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:31 AM   #39
Coastie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm getting ready to make a milk chocolate stout and have 4 oz of nibs. I've seen some people make a tincture witch vodka and others just dump them into secondary. Is there a big difference between these two methods?

In the fermenter:Empty

My BeerSmith Recipes.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:43 AM   #40
sfrisby
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 156 Posts

I've soaked with vodka to sanitize them dump the whole thing in.

Quick Reply