Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > adding chocolate to beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012, 09:30 PM   #21
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2554 Times on 1504 Posts
Likes Given: 5748

I'll see if I can find it again, but I read an article that suggested just adding straight ground cocoa to the mash. The flavor it produces, the article says, wouldn't be readily identified as what we've come to expect chocolate to taste like, but rather a roasty bitterness that is very much unlike hop bitterness. Seems like it would be interesting to try.

EDIT: Ah! Here is the article I mentioned

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 11:45 PM   #22
HopOnHops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've had great success adding in 8oz of hershey's unsweetened dark chocolate powder and a handful of cacao nibs in the last 15 minutes of the boil

Old 08-02-2012, 01:38 AM   #23
shanek17
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 54

this turned into a great chocolate discussion. ! its great to see all your ways of doing things. iv been recently loving bentonite and have been using it in my wine and now my beer too. i dont use it in beer for clarity but more so for the heat stabilization, so my beer doesnt turn into a volcano fermentation lol.

anyways i found it interesting how bentonite works efficiently in primary and im wondering if other additives like chocolate can be the same. basically when you add bentonite in at primary the ferment acitivity constantly pushes bentonite up and then it starts falling down to bottom and gets pushed back up. it does this cycle until ferment is over and by then its swelled up in size and settled to the bottom. so im wondering if its a good idea to add my finely ground cocoa powder at primary so it can cycle through the fermentation, as opposed to adding chocolate that's too bit an heavy and then it just settles to the bottom. this is why i thought the finely ground powder would work well.

I wasn't ready for parenthood so I took a class on making beer babies, finally something to nuture!

Old 08-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #24
cyberwollf
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Any experience on the chocolate extract from grocery store?

I think it's an imitation flavoring, but would be easier to adjust the flavor right before bottling.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:07 PM   #25
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 22 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 363 Times on 205 Posts

Personally i would avoid imitation flavorings. Look for threads about imitation vs real vanilla extract.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:21 AM   #26
Rehlgood
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I "dry hopped" with 1/2 lb of a nib-husk mix (ground like grains) for 2 weeks for a RIS and it was great. Then did the same thing with for a robust porter with 1/4 ld for 1 week. Ris had a great chocolate backbone. Porter had just the right hint. Good luck.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:23 AM   #27
badlee
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 15

my chocolate stout is now 6 days into primary. I added 80gr of dutch cocoa powder to the boil @ 15. It is bloody great! I will do this again without doubt!

Old 08-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #28
shanek17
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlee
my chocolate stout is now 6 days into primary. I added 80gr of dutch cocoa powder to the boil @ 15. It is bloody great! I will do this again without doubt!
Cool! We used the same stuff. i had this organic dutch process cocoa powder sitting in my cupboard forever so it was the easiest to reach for. Dutch process is technically processed but IMHO its the least processed types of chocolate out there.

I actually added the chocolate to a small test batch aafter a couple days of fermentation, just incase i don't like it. i added 1.70 oz to 4.5 liters or 1 imp gallon. ill find out in a month or so if its any good.

I wasn't ready for parenthood so I took a class on making beer babies, finally something to nuture!

Old 08-09-2012, 06:23 AM   #29
badlee
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I cant wait to get a pint of mine! I promised myself and my inlaws I would crack out the stout over xmas and new year. Hmmmmm,will it make it?

Old 08-13-2012, 01:31 AM   #30
chrismcdaniel3128
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 28

just my 2 cents, on a boulevard chocolate ale clone, I added 1 oz belgian cocoa pwdr at 5min, then bottled after a month of primary. I used 5 oz corn sugar to prime and added an 1/8 oz nibs to 6 of the bottles (15 oz). Didn't try for almost a month but, both bottles, (with and w/o nibs carbonated well). This was a trial and error go, just wanted to see off i could come close, and afterwards wished i had added the nibs to all the bottles.

Quick Reply