Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > adding chocolate to beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2012, 01:42 AM   #11
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 22 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 363 Times on 205 Posts

They are small highly concentrated liquid drops. Add at bottling or secondary.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #12
jfrank85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Question, the link about the nibs in the porter says cacao nibs can inhibit fermentation. Is this also true in secondary or will the alcohol already produced stop this from happening? I would hate to bottle a beer to find out 6 weeks later that it failed to carb because of it.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #13
sfrisby
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeezerpleezer

The company has a sale going, 5 for $20, so I also grabbed a double chocolate, Peanut Butter, Espresso, and another Graham Cracker. I was thinking about trying to make something like Southern Tier Choklat with the double chocolate, their Java with the Espresso, then blend some of it together for some Mocha. Not sure about the peanut butter, but maybe a porter.
doing a Reeses stout with peanut butter and double chocolate, pumpkin pie and graham cracker going into this years pumpkin beer.

Sorry to hijack.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:19 AM   #14
gwdraper4
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrank85 View Post
Question, the link about the nibs in the porter says cacao nibs can inhibit fermentation. Is this also true in secondary or will the alcohol already produced stop this from happening? I would hate to bottle a beer to find out 6 weeks later that it failed to carb because of it.
I have used Cacao Nibs quite a few times and have never had a problem with bottle conditioning. I usually add them on day 7 of fermentation and let them rest for 7 days at a ratio of 1 oz. per 1.5 gallons.

Life is too short to drink crappy beer@
Kegged: Super Hoppy Red Ale, IPA
Bottle: Barleywine, Belgian Chocolate Red
Fermenting: India Brown, Pale Ale

Old 07-31-2012, 05:45 AM   #15
shanek17
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwdraper4

I have used Cacao Nibs quite a few times and have never had a problem with bottle conditioning. I usually add them on day 7 of fermentation and let them rest for 7 days at a ratio of 1 oz. per 1.5 gallons.
interesting. so how do you get the cacao nibs out? or do you just rack into bottle bucket after the 7 days and leave the nibs with the gunk from the primary bucket. iv been trying to give my ale beers 3 weeks in primary before bottling. but it sounds like you just do 2 weeks? rite?

I wasn't ready for parenthood so I took a class on making beer babies, finally something to nuture!

Old 07-31-2012, 07:41 AM   #16
GarageBeerGarden
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The first time I used chocolate was one of my first beers - an extract stout. I wanted a little subtle chocolate without being too sweet or powerful like Young's or something. I didn't know what to do, so I just bought a bar of bakers chocolate, broke it up, and chucked it into the BK near the end of the boil. The result was exactly what I wanted. You could sense the chocolate, without being too heavy. There were no issues whatsoever with fermentation or carbonation. Next time I brew with chocolate, I'll do the same thing. Don't want to overthink it.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:30 PM   #17
rvklein
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Nibs soaked in a few oz of vodka. Add it all to the secondary or primary after fementation has slowed.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:04 PM   #18
CastleHollow
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 54

The problem I've encountered with actual chocolate bars (I used about 1oz/gallon Lindt's 95% & 99% in a porter some time ago,) are the milkfats that seem impossible to completely skim out. I still get some up around the neck of the bottle even after months of conditioning. I added the chocolate in the last 5 minutes of the boil. Doesn't really affect the finished product because the chocolate is very apparent in the beer, giving it a nice flavor & mouthfeel. Next time I'll go with the nibs, or a fat-free powdered version.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:16 PM   #19
Bear419
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleHollow View Post
The problem I've encountered with actual chocolate bars (I used about 1oz/gallon Lindt's 95% & 99% in a porter some time ago,) are the milkfats that seem impossible to completely skim out.
+1

Stay away from cocao that has been processed.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:27 PM   #20
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2148 Times on 1537 Posts
Likes Given: 1180

I recently brewed a Chocolate Stout for my wife. I boiled 8 ounces of cocoa powder (1 regular sized can) in the last 10-15 minutes. I plan on adding nibs and vodka in secondary.

However, I've heard a lot of people say chocolate extract is the easiest way to get a pronounced chocolate flavor in the beer. I may try that if this method doesn't work. My wife is looking for a strong chocolate flavor, and less roast/bitter flavor. I also added lactose to help boost the sweetness a bit.

There was a LOT of gooey gunk in the bottom of the boil kettle when I racked into the fermenter. I used a copper scrubby pad as a prefilter to the dip tube and it did a great job of keeping the hops and cocoa powder out of the fermenter. If I had known this I would not have used the scrubby. But it's bubbling away, so we will see what the flavor is like in a few more days.

Quick Reply