Adding Chocolate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJadedDog

AFK ATM
Reaction score
For my next brew I want to make a chocolate rasberry porter, I have the AHS porter kit and am wondering about adding real chocolate during the boil (I'm not concerned about the fruit as I feel pretty confident on what to do there). Anyone have any suggestions on what type, how much, and when to add?

I don't want to make a huge gravity beer but I would like a hint of chocolate flavor.

All of the opinions that I have read seem to point to not using real chocolate but instead using Chocolate Essence instead. Durkee's was the name of the most common mentioned.

It seems that adding real chocolate makes one hell of a mess during fermentation and it does not impart much flavor. Same thing for using Cocoa powder. It works OK if you use alot! But who wants to hassle with 10 inches of trub?

I would consider adding the chocolate towards the end of fermentation or during secondary... I don't know how fermentable the sugars in chocolate are, but you're gonna want some significant residual sweetness or else you're gonna have bittersweet chocolate raspberry porter :) Which doesn't sound good to me, personally. Sounds like a good experiment though :)

I'll sum up the thread: chocolate is a really bad idea, the fat will mess your brew up badly. Cocoa powder is ok.

I don't know which porter kit you have, but if there is more than a pound of caramel, it will be sweet enough.

I just did a chocolate oatmeal cream stout, in the primary now. I added 8 ounces of ghirardelli cocoa powder and 10 ounces of lactose the last 10 minutes. It's somewhat of an experiment, I have no idea how much cocoa powder is needed to get a chocolate flavor and how much lactose is needed to balance out the bitterness of the cocoa powder, so I basically guestimated. I'll report in a few weeks how it turns out.

Just made an oatmeal/chocolate/vanilla/milk stout... used cocoa powder at boil. This beer is definitely improving with age.

So between what you guys have posted here and the other thread it sounds like 8oz or so of cocoa powder for the last 2 minutes of the boil are all I'll need so that's what I think I'll do.

My plan was to wait and add the rasberries to the secondary (based on a recent interview on Basic Brewing Radio) only thing is, I have no idea how much to add, I thought maybe a pound or two for a 5 gal. batch as I don't want the flavor to get out of control. What do you guys think? I could also always go with flvor extract, but I'd rather not.

I'd probably follow the "at least 10 minutes of boil" rule to make sure everything is sanitized.

Back