New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Adding cane sugar to boost ABV?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
joentuff
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adding cane sugar to boost ABV?

Ok I've only been brewing for about a year, and the guys I brew with were sitting around wondering if you could add cane sugar to the brewing to boost your ABV? May be a stupid question but I haven't seen it in any recipes that I have read. Thanks for any input you guys can give.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You haven't seen it in any recipes because it isn't the best way of boosting ABV. It will work, but it will also make the beer out of balance if you don't work it into the recipe, and there are better ways of making a stronger beer, like adding more malt.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 01-10-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
sully
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

you certainly can but it will take its toll on body and taste if you use a lot. some high gravity beers use like a pound in five gallons to get more dry

Old 01-10-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully View Post
you certainly can but it will take its toll on body and taste if you use a lot. some high gravity beers use like a pound in five gallons to get more dry
I have used 15-20% before, but it was in huge belgian beers and it wasn't for a boost in alcohol, it was to make a drier beer.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Quick Reply