New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Acid Malt Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2008, 05:07 AM   #1
BarleyWater
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Acid Malt Question

I don't want the sourness of berliner weiss, but do want a sour hint, and was wondering if acid malt would do this without having to add a lactic bacteria. I have seen a few recipes using 2-4oz., but I'm not sure if this is only effective and used for lowering PH, or if it adds a lactic tartness, even though the recipes I have seen it in have all been sour beers or hefe's using a lactic bacteria?

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Last edited by BarleyWater; 02-08-2008 at 07:06 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2008, 07:06 AM   #2
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 110 Posts

yes, it will add sourness (or, more appropriately and as you described, a "tartness.") but take it from me (from personal experience) you add too much and it will taste like a soda beer. i don't use more than 1-2 oz per 5 gallon batch. it's actually a major ingredient in one of my wheat beers, but don't overdo it!

if you want true sourness, look into so-called "wild yeasts"...someone else may know better than me about this, as it's not a style i prefer.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 02-08-2008, 07:18 AM   #3
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have looked a bit into the wild yeasts and bacteria, but don't really know if I want to deal with the different pitchings for the different cultures, some coming after others and vice versa. I also don't really want a lot of sourness, just a hint to emphasive the flavors, so I don't know if that warrants the use of another strain and I planned on using WYeast 1010 American Wheat Ale.

It's actually an American Wheat that I am making, think a cross between Sunshine Wheat and Beliner Weisbier.

Thanks for your advice though, right now I am thinking around an ounce or so of the acid malt.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 02-08-2008, 01:33 PM   #4
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

You can also add some lactic acid directly to the finished beer, then you can just add it to taste to get it where you want it. Wouldn't be a great way to go if you wanted to make a very sour beer, as it's kind of the "cheating" way to do it instead of using bacteria, but if you're trying to give it just a small sour edge then I would expect it would be fine, especially if you start off with a small amount of acid malt in the mash to kick it off, and then only use a small amount of lactic to tweak. But, I haven't done this myself so take my advice for what it's worth (not much). At the very least, you could experiment with it in just a pint of beer without risking the whole batch.

On that note, one of my favorite quotes was from the Jamil show episode on Berliner Weisse, he compared using lactic acid as the sole means to sour a Berliner Weisse to "cooking a steak in the microwave" - it'll technically work, but it's just not the same :P

Quick Reply