Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > About to re-brew a Cascadian Dark Ale (AG)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2010, 10:44 PM   #11
alcibiades
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

how much crystal sweetness are you getting in this recipe? I'm thinking of using this recipe, but im worried about 60L being too high.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2010, 10:45 PM   #12
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

You could just sub the caramel for some darker caramel and maybe try something dark but less obtrusive...chocolate maybe? What do you think about 120L and a hint of chocolate?

I think your foray into extracting color with little flavor from malts is a cool one...but there may be an easier way.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:51 PM   #13
Rentachik
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I made a CDA and I used Carafa III special. I added it to the mash just before sparging. Added alot of roasted malt/coffee flavor. Too much even. My LHBS has Crisp black malt 675L I would add that instead of the Carafa. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:26 PM   #14
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcibiades View Post
how much crystal sweetness are you getting in this recipe? I'm thinking of using this recipe, but im worried about 60L being too high.
I am making a 10 gallons batch and that equates to 5.2% total grain. I typically am in that range for my crystals, so no...not too sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkershner View Post
You could just sub the caramel for some darker caramel and maybe try something dark but less obtrusive...chocolate maybe? What do you think about 120L and a hint of chocolate?

I think your foray into extracting color with little flavor from malts is a cool one...but there may be an easier way.
I think that there are three ways to make this beer. First being my recipe (Stone's Recipe) where there is little roast flavor but black color on an IPA base. Second being what the Oregon people are doing in your neck of the woods where there are roasty flavors in a very hoppy beer. Third being black food coloring (sinimar) being added to an IPA and calling it a Black IPA.

This recipe is meant to get color, little roast and a lot of flavor and so I don't want to put any roasty caramel malts in it to accentuate that and have gone the Black Roasted route to get color, but I mashed it the full hour and it got a little too much roasty flavor. Chocolate, to me, is out of place in this recipe in any large amounts. That said though, the Oregon brewers seem to think it works and they are selling beer, so it must be working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentachik View Post
I made a CDA and I used Carafa III special. I added it to the mash just before sparging. Added alot of roasted malt/coffee flavor. Too much even. My LHBS has Crisp black malt 675L I would add that instead of the Carafa. Let us know how it turns out.
You will get a certain amount of a roasty flavor from this malt. I mean, it isn't a magic coloring bean How much hops/IBU's did you put into your beer and did you late hop and dry hop it? I really find that the hops can cover up a lot of the roasty flavor so that you still have a very dark colored IPA that is super hoppy. I have tried mine after five months and the late hops have mellowed just enough to allow some of that roast to come back out to the forefront. Still a damned fine beer!

Old 03-01-2010, 11:23 PM   #15
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just checked the gravity on this guy. I was figuring about 1.016 and it is sitting right at 1.018 or so, so I am in the range I am looking for. Down from 1.080, so good fermentation! Added the 2oz of Centennial and 2oz of Amarillo as Dry Hop and will check it again in ten days when I bottle her up. It tastes nice and a little bit roasty as I thought it would be. Very happy with it right now and can't wait for it in the bottle!

Old 05-12-2010, 07:00 PM   #16
Powers
Recipes 

any updates??

Old 05-20-2010, 07:12 PM   #17
BadgerBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Hey guys. I just had a Widmer W '10 Pitch Black Ale and loved it. I am going to attempt a recipe along the lines of it /Cascadian Black Ale and wanted to see

1) Matt, how did yours turn out?

2) What do you think of the following:

6 gallon batch
60 minute boil
11# Pale 2-row
1# Carafa III (Weyerman)
1# Caramel Malt 10l (Breiss)
.50# Chocolate Malt
.50# Special Roast

I have a ton of hops in my freezer, so I am looking to do something along these lines:

1oz. Centennial (60 min)
1oz. Cascade (60 min)
1oz. Amarillo (30 min)
1oz. Cascade (15 min)
1oz. Cascade (5 min)
1oz. Centennial (dry hop)
1oz. Cascade (dry hop)
Mash at 149-150 for 60 minutes
I think I am going to use Nottingham as the yeast to get a nice clean fermentation.

Putting this into Beersmith give me the following:

1.063 OG
1.013 FG
6.53% ABV
41.2 SRM
69.2 IBU

I don't want much in the way of coffee / roasted flavors (or as little as I can get by with) but obviously want the dark colors with a nice malty body. Thoughts?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan

Last edited by BadgerBrewer; 05-20-2010 at 07:49 PM.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:23 PM   #18
Powers
Recipes 

i would say the 1 lb of carafa will not make a 6 gallon batch 'pitch black' but it will be pretty dark. if you don't want the roasty flavors, you probably don't want to go too far. i'd also dial back the choco malts to .5 to keep the roast flavors down. i also really like what .5 biscuit malts did for the flavor of a buddies' CDA, but i was too late to add them to my own.

there are of course many perturbations

EDIT: Also, I tossed my aroma hops in at flameout instead of 5 min.

Last edited by Powers; 05-20-2010 at 07:25 PM.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:30 PM   #19
BadgerBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Much appreciated Powers. Dialing down the chocolate dropped SRM to 41.2. Any thing I can do to make it darker without adding a lot in the way of roast/coffee flavors? Maybe a tiny bit of 2-Row black malt? Never used it before but from what I have read it has a neutral flavor and used for color adjustment.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan

Old 05-20-2010, 08:35 PM   #20
Powers
Recipes 

here's another helpful forum on CDAs: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/casc...recipe-163258/.

the recipe there might be different than what you are going for, but some of the discussion you may find useful.

sinmar is a black coloring agent i believe, but i'm not sure if its economical or accessible to the homebrewer. i've never tried it but i see it mentioned in threads about how to make a CDA blacker without the roasty flavor.

Quick Reply