Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > AAU-equivalent of cacao nibs?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2012, 12:49 AM   #1
jwbeard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default AAU-equivalent of cacao nibs?

Has anyone worked out (or does anyone otherwise know) the AAU equivalent of cacao when it's added to the boil? I've seen in a few places that it can be used as a bittering agent if added for the last 10 min of the boil, and I'd like to play with using that method in a future recipe. If it does have a significant impact on bitterness I'd want to reduce the hops accordingly.

Can't seem to find the info on this forum or otherwise on google... Anyone know?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That's a tough question, and I doubt you'll get a good answer to it. But, hops and cocao are two different types of bitterness in my opinion. I typically never adjust hop levels when I add it to my boils. Just think of it as the bitterness you'd taste from biting into a 100% chocolate bar.

I'll have to talk to the head brewer at the brewery I work for and see if he knows about the difference in alpha acids. I believe chocolate has AA's, but it's a different type. I'm no expert on the chemistry side of brewing, so hopefully he can help.

Another HERMS rig...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply