Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > 5x pepper beers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #41
bovineblitz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
I want it spicy but drinkable. Perhaps half the hab?
I think one hab in 5gal won't be undrinkably spicy. If I'm gauging it right, if you like spicy things it'll be fairly spicy for you and people who only like mild spiciness will have a hard time with it.

You could deseed it to reduce the heat a bit and still get the flavor contribution.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2011, 10:50 PM   #42
D_Ranged_Eskimo
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What would you recommend using for just extracting the heat aspect without gaining any of the flavors of the pepper itself? I'm looking for a bit of heat at the back end of the beer without tasting the actual flavors of chilis.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:03 PM   #43
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 417 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 232

I remember an interesting tip from a Jamaican cook I learned a long time ago. This guy threw several habanero peppers in a stock that was boiling. I thought it was going to be crazy hot, naturally. But he said that because he added them whole, without cutting the skin, the heat really wouldn't enter the stock, but the flavor largely would. Maybe this is a way to get the hab flavor without all the heat? I'll have to try it myself eventually (either in the boiling wort or in secondary), but in case anyone else wants to experiment with this technique, I thought I'd share.

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:04 PM   #44
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 417 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Ranged_Eskimo View Post
What would you recommend using for just extracting the heat aspect without gaining any of the flavors of the pepper itself? I'm looking for a bit of heat at the back end of the beer without tasting the actual flavors of chilis.
Cut out the white connective tissue in the inside of the pepper and use that. That is what contains most of the heat, and won't have much flavor on its own.

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:06 PM   #45
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Ranged_Eskimo View Post
Well I was thinking pure capsaicin but it's apparently too dangerous to handle in powdered form.

Quote:
"Pure capsaicin is so powerful that chemists who handle the crystalline powder must work in a filtered "tox room" in full body protection. The suit has a closed hood to prevent inhaling the powder.
Said pharmaceutical chemist Lloyd Matheson of the University of Iowa, who once inhaled some capsaicin accidentally: "It's not toxic, but you wish you were dead if you inhale it." "One milligram of pure capsaicin
placed on your hand would feel like a red-hot poker and would surely blister the skin," said capsaicin expert Marlin Bensinger."
Typically whenever I've seen capsaicin extracts they're oil based which wouldn't be ideal for beer. They come in dropper bottles because they're so potent, I suppose a drop or two of oil wouldn't hurt your beer too much.

Alternately you could take a bunch of habaneros and soak only the seeds and white inner lining in vodka, discarding the fleshy part. You'd get some flavor but a TON of heat.

edit: Here's a tutorial on how to extract as much heat as possible: http://www.ehow.com/how_7826415_make...capsaicin.html

Whatever you do, wear gloves.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:56 PM   #46
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovineblitz View Post
...Whatever you do, wear gloves.
And don't take a piss half way through

Old 10-06-2011, 03:13 AM   #47
D_Ranged_Eskimo
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2 View Post
And don't take a piss half way through
Or get an eye itch!!!

Thanks for the help. I had a porter from Left Hand Brewing Company that had a bit of spice with no real chili flavor that was awesome!

Old 04-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #48
el-pietro
Recipes 

subscribing!

Old 04-30-2013, 07:56 PM   #49
acidrain23
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovineblitz View Post
Habanero: Wooh! Good amount of heat in the back of the throat. The delicious earthy flavor hits right before the heat but just barely. For me, it's too much heat on its own about 80% of the time... I like heat but I don't normally like to be bombarded with it. It'd be cool to separate out the heat from the flavor but I'm not sure how to do that... I only used 1/4 of a habanero in a gallon after all.
I am a huge habanero fan and would love to pack loads of that fruity funky flavor into a beer without the blasting heat. One of my ideas, that I haven't had an opportunity to try out yet would be to obtain some some Zavory habaneros (100 scoville units) or Trinidad Perfume (1000 scoville units). They are not really available commerically so you would have to grow your own. They are mild enough that you could use like a half pound in there easiy! In my mind, I think it would pair great with Citra and/or Galaxy hops.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #50
petey_c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts

"Or get an eye itch!!!"

Yeah,... learned those two (mattd2 also) the hot way. Making chicken dijon one night and I figured I'd make it a little hotter with some jalapeños from my garden. Chop, chop, chop and into the sauce ya go. Wash my hands, go take a leak, wash my hands and sit on the couch. Hmmm, little pete and the twins are feeling kinda extra warm. Schist, the peppers. Back to the bathroom, wash, wash, wash. Enjoy a nice spicy meal. Pop the contacts out. Hmm, slight burning sensation. Off to sleep. Next morning getting ready for work, pop the contacts in and holy crap someone put hot coals in my eyes! Now I always wear disposable gloves when using hot peppers/sauces.

Quick Reply