The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > 55L British Crystal Malt ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2005, 01:03 AM   #1
mgavrilov
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 55L British Crystal Malt ?

I am about to try to brew McEwans Pale Ale and the recipe which I've got calls for British 55L crystal malt. I am having hard time finding it in local stores or online. Only few web sites have it and even then as this is the only thing which I'm gonna order from them I will need to pay $5-6 to ship $1.50 worth of grain.

Can I replace it with American Crystal Malt 60L? Is it a lot different from the British crystal malt? Especially when trying to reproduce English beer.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2005, 05:32 AM   #2
esquimaux
Recipes 

in my experience the single biggest influence on style is having the right yeast. I'm sure you'd be able to tell the difference between beers made with british vs american malt, but they'll be in the same ballpark. Just don't try to substitute American Ale yeast

Old 05-15-2005, 05:46 PM   #3
BitterRat
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgavrilov
I am about to try to brew McEwans Pale Ale and the recipe which I've got calls for British 55L crystal malt. I am having hard time finding it in local stores or online. Only few web sites have it and even then as this is the only thing which I'm gonna order from them I will need to pay $5-6 to ship $1.50 worth of grain.

Can I replace it with American Crystal Malt 60L? Is it a lot different from the British crystal malt? Especially when trying to reproduce English beer.

Thanks!
I think you can use the domestic 60L, but IMO, there is a difference in the 2 grains. Brit and Continental seem to have a more Caramelly flavor than does domestic.

Old 05-17-2005, 12:58 PM   #4
tnlandsailor

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

For such a small addition, I doubt you will notice. I agree with esquimau that your biggest influence will be the yeast and not a small grain component. Use the domestic 60 and select the right yeast and see what you get.

Prosit!

Hands-On Brewing

Dennis Collins
Knoxville, TN
Innovative Homebrew Solutions
Home of the Hop Stopper!
www.ihomebrewsolutions.com

Old 05-17-2005, 11:06 PM   #5
mgavrilov
Recipes 

Thank you for your answers. I was about to go with the domestic 60L, but at the last minute found the British one in a local store. The beer is in the primary fermenter now.

Quick Reply