New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > 5 hour Energy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2010, 02:54 AM   #1
ChillyP
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 5 hour Energy

Anyone ever brewed with 5 hour energy drinks? I was think a small 3gal batch of a wheat beer and adding a couple of 5 hour energy berry to it. I figured it would be a good brain beer for a Saturday mowing/yard work/etc ale. Does that sound crazy?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2010, 03:08 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It does sound crazy, but it's probably just my opinion. Alcohol and energy drinks just shouldn't be put together in my opinion. It's extremely bad for you.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 07-19-2010, 03:12 AM   #3
novafire
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post
It does sound crazy, but it's probably just my opinion. Alcohol and energy drinks just shouldn't be put together in my opinion. It's extremely bad for you.
Umm why?

Alcohol CAN be bad for you and energy drinks CAN be bad for you, but I don't see why putting the 2 together would be any different than drinking them separately.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:19 AM   #4
DaveNay
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by novafire View Post
Umm why?

Alcohol CAN be bad for you and energy drinks CAN be bad for you, but I don't see why putting the 2 together would be any different than drinking them separately.
Mixing stimulants and depressants is not recommended by your doctor. Back in the day that was called a speedball and used Heroin and Coke. The list of people killed from this is pretty long and includes John Belushi and Chris Farley.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:22 AM   #5
novafire
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

My morning coffee is NOT coke.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:23 AM   #6
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Because you're combining drugs that are completely different. Energy drinks are uppers, and alcohol is a downer. Alcohol naturally makes people a little tired. This is a sign that the body is fighting it and you need to relax. Adding energy drinks to the mix just confuses the body.

Also, since both alcohol and energy drinks are diuretics, you'll be going to the bathroom much more often. This just leaves you with a horrible hangover because your twice as dehydrated as you should be.

I suppose adding coffee in the beer could leave you with the same results, but the amount of caffeine in energy drinks is much higher than coffee.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 07-19-2010, 03:28 AM   #7
novafire
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Drinking a lot of beer also leads to a bad hangover, but no one is trying to talk anyone out of making beer on this forum. I doubt 2 "energy beers" a day would cause a hangover.

Are people confusing binge drinking with drinking energy drinks and beers?

Old 07-19-2010, 03:45 AM   #8
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Try drinking that same amount of beer spiked with energy drink and tell me which hangover is worse.

Yes, this is mainly discussing binge drinking, but bad is bad...regardless of how much you drink. And I realize that beer is bad for you too...but why make something worse?

As I said, my opinion is probably a bad one to take to heart. I've never liked energy drinks. I think it's just one more addiction that the world doesn't need. I have a friend who can't function anymore without a 5 hour energy every few hours.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 07-19-2010, 03:56 AM   #9
novafire
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post
Try drinking that same amount of beer spiked with energy drink and tell me which hangover is worse.

Yes, this is mainly discussing binge drinking, but bad is bad...regardless of how much you drink. And I realize that beer is bad for you too...but why make something worse?

As I said, my opinion is probably a bad one to take to heart. I've never liked energy drinks. I think it's just one more addiction that the world doesn't need. I have a friend who can't function anymore without a 5 hour energy every few hours.
So basically you have your own temperance movement against energy drinks?

I know a few alcoholics, THEY think they can't function without alcohol. Am I going to stop talking about beer on a beer forum because I know some people can't handle alcohol out there, NO. Some people can't handle food, Goddammit if I will not discuss a recipe online because I like to cook and eat.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:06 AM   #10
Cheeto
Born again N00b

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Heck,

I am going to play devils advocate here.....

Do it, other that a batch of beer what do you have to lose?

If it works out you will have your own version of a "sparks"

Quick Reply