Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > 3 FLoyds Zombie Dust attempt. Help/info requested

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #931
Veedo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

well, we brewed this up yesterday, everything went good. scaled the recipe up to 6.5 gallons to account for loss of wort to whole hops. mashed at 155, pitched a slurry of 2565 kolsch yeast at 60F, we shall see how this one goes. I am a little worried about it turning out sweet with such a high FG.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #932
Adaman05
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

My last batch with s-04 came out awesome! Fermented a little high, but still awesome! I want to enter this in a competition at a local brewpub. Should I enter this as an apa or ipa?

Old 04-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #933
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 189 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 126

APA for sure. Not nearly bitter enough to compete with American IPA's. I found out the hard way haha

Old 04-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #934
Adaman05
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin View Post
APA for sure. Not nearly bitter enough to compete with American IPA's. I found out the hard way haha
Thanks!

Old 04-10-2013, 02:47 AM   #935
CeeTee
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Okay, I really want to brew this Extract version, but I live in AZ and the temps are going up quick. I keep my house at a stable 75deg and my worts seem to keep this temp consistently. I need to find a higher temp tolerant yeast. I was looking at Wyeast 1332 and it can handle those temps. Do you think it will change the taste too much? Its an APA ale and sounds true to the Zombie Dust flavor. Thoughts? Any alternative suggestions? Thanks!

Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Bottle: Pineapple Sweaty Palms Hefe, Apfelwein
Keg 1: Reflection Lake (Mirror Pond Clone) RIP :(

Old 04-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #936
Dust
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

75 degrees is quite high for fermenting... I would definitely suggest some kind of ferm chamber or if money is an issue than definitely go with a swamp cooler. I just drank my first couple of bottles about a week ago and it is one of the greatest things I have ever tasted despite a few miscalculations :P. Do it right and I promise you will not regret it!

Old 04-11-2013, 04:39 AM   #937
CeeTee
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Yeah, I agree. I think with a tub of water and a towel, I can bring it down to AT LEAST 70deg. That should be fine for the S-04. Thanks!

Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Bottle: Pineapple Sweaty Palms Hefe, Apfelwein
Keg 1: Reflection Lake (Mirror Pond Clone) RIP :(

Old 04-11-2013, 09:28 PM   #938
wranglerx16
Recipes 

How much priming sugar did you use with the extract version?

Old 04-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #939
MeanDeuce
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Couple of questions regarding the extract version:

1) I plugged the extract recipe into Beersmith and my ABV is only 5.1%. Any ideas why its so low?

2) If I wanted to do BIAB, I'd steep the grains along with the FWH addition for 30 mins at 150ish?

Old 04-12-2013, 07:27 PM   #940
fosaisu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanDeuce View Post
Couple of questions regarding the extract version:

1) I plugged the extract recipe into Beersmith and my ABV is only 5.1%. Any ideas why its so low?

2) If I wanted to do BIAB, I'd steep the grains along with the FWH addition for 30 mins at 150ish?
Disclaimer: haven't brewed this yet, but planning to do the extract version next week so I'm pulling my recipe together and doing lots of reading on partial mash techniques (this will be my first partial mash).

1) Reading this and the other Zombie Dust recipe thread, it looks like people following the front page recipe have often come up short on original gravity (and hence ABV). I wonder if they're assuming the extract target volume is also 6 gallons? (If you read carefully, he says the extract assumes you'll be shooting for 5 gallons, not 6 gallons like the all-grain version). If you apply a standard conversion ratio (1lb grain = .75 lb LME = .6 lb DME) to the all-grain recipe, and account for the fact that the all-grain is for 6 gallons and the extract is for 5 gallons, the 6 lbs DME is about right. Having said that, when I plug this into Beersmith it also tells me that I need more extract to hit the target OG of 1.065. I'm going to follow Beersmith to make my 5.5 gallon batch and use a bit more extract than called for here (8.5 lb LME, which would equate to 7.7 lb LME or 6.2 lb DME in a 5 gallon batch). Will post back if I overshoot the OG.

2) Re: doing the partial mash, there's a great thread discussing various approaches here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/
Basically though, you need to "mash" the Munich, Carafoam, Crystal and Melanoiden at ~ 152 F for 30 mins - 1 hour with a limited amount of water (people often recommend 1.25 qts / lb of grain). So here that would be 3.125 qts (1.25 qts/lb * 2.5 lbs grain). You don't just want to toss the grain into 152F water though, b/c the grain will cool it down a good bit. So use this calculator: http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml to figure out what temp you should heat your water to before dropping in the grain (for me, assuming the grain will be at 68F room temp, it tells me to heat the water to 168F).

For the FWH, those go in AFTER the grains are removed from the mash (at which point you have created "first wort" for these hops to go into). I do a full boil for my extract brews so I plan to "sparge" (rinse) my grains in my brew pot for 10-15 mins at 170F with the remaining volume of water needed to get my boil volume (~5.7 gallons), while the FWH marinate in the first wort. Then I'll remove the grains from the brew pot, dump the now-hopped first wort into my brew pot, and carry on with my brew day.

Like I say, I haven't tried this yet, but after reading up on partial mashing and FWH I think this is a reasonable approach. Good luck with your brew (and hopefully you'll wish me the same)!

Quick Reply