The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > 3 FLoyds Zombie Dust attempt. Help/info requested

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #861
nab911
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Ordered 1lb whole leaf citra from labelpeelers for about $23 shipped. Not bad. Gonna pick up the rest of the ingredients from brewmasters and brew this next weekend. Only changes i'm making from the extract version is 1/4lb of melanoidin and crystal 60 to lighten it up and only 5lbs of dme to get the estimated abv at 5% so it can be a nice spring/summer beer. IBU's are estimated at 116 but I usually do about a 4-4.5 gallon boil and top off with water which cuts down on the IBU's a lot. Hops are whole leaf as well which will lower it a little.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #862
Haputanlas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Sub...

Can't get this in Texas and haven't been able to trade for it yet.

Hopefully I will brew this up in the coming weeks.

Thanks for the efforts.

"There is no strong beer, only weak men"
"Pretty women make us BUY beer, ugly women make us DRINK beer" - Al Bundy
"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for a day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk for the rest of his life."

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Old 02-15-2013, 12:49 AM   #863
Adaman05
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

For all of you who have done the partial mash recipe, what is the ratio of water to grains for the mash? Sparge? I brewed this 3 weeks ago and it was my first partial mash. I used the partial mash method found here:

http://www.sanfranciscobrewcraft.com...les.asp?id=133

It says this: PARTIAL MASH METHOD #1

This method is specific to recipes with 2.5 lbs of grains or less.

Place grains in grain bag.
Put into pot with 3 gallons of water and turn on the heat, raise the temperature to between 151° and 158° depending on the recipe.
Turn off the heat and place a lid on the pot. Place a heavy towel over the pot and let stand for 40 minutes. DO NOT CHECK CONTENTS FOR FULL 40 MINUTES to avoid releasing heat from the pot.
After 40 minutes, open pot and slowly dip grain bag in and out of pot 7 to 10 times slowly. Throw grains away.

I raised the temp to about 158 and then covered it with the lid and a towel and cut the heat for 40 minutes. After throwing the grains away, I topped up to 6.5 gallons of water and proceeded with my boil. I'm guessing this isn't standard procedure, and my SG came up a bit low at 1.058. What should I be doing differently? I haven't yet tasted this batch as it's not ready, but I'm going to brew another 5 gallons next weekend.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:53 AM   #864
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 337 Times on 187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaman05 View Post
For all of you who have done the partial mash recipe, what is the ratio of water to grains for the mash? Sparge? I brewed this 3 weeks ago and it was my first partial mash. I used the partial mash method found here:

Put into pot with 3 gallons of water and turn on the heat, raise the temperature to between 151° and 158° depending on the recipe.
Turn off the heat and place a lid on the pot. Place a heavy towel over the pot and let stand for 40 minutes. DO NOT CHECK CONTENTS FOR FULL 40 MINUTES to avoid releasing heat from the pot.
After 40 minutes, open pot and slowly dip grain bag in and out of pot 7 to 10 times slowly. Throw grains away.

I raised the temp to about 158 and then covered it with the lid and a towel and cut the heat for 40 minutes. After throwing the grains away, I topped up to 6.5 gallons of water and proceeded with my boil. I'm guessing this isn't standard procedure, and my SG came up a bit low at 1.058. What should I be doing differently? I haven't yet tasted this batch as it's not ready, but I'm going to brew another 5 gallons next weekend.
what was your post boil volume?

Old 02-15-2013, 01:56 AM   #865
Adaman05
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeezerpleezer View Post
what was your post boil volume?
Not sure, entirely. (To memory) It came in about 3/4 inch above the 5 gallon marker line I drew on the outside of my 6 gal fermenter. Maybe even an inch? Not sure how that equates to volumes.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:56 AM   #866
jwm1485
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:

When I used to do partial mash I would rest the grains on a strainer above the kettle then sparge them with some 170 to 180 degree water. To rinse the rest of the sugars out of the grain.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #867
Adaman05
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1485 View Post
When I used to do partial mash I would rest the grains on a strainer above the kettle then sparge them with some 170 to 180 degree water. To rinse the rest of the sugars out of the grain.
I think I'll keep the same method - 3 gallons water mash on the stove wrapped in a towel. But instead of dunking the grains 10 times, I'll do this and rinse with a strainer (maybe 1 gallon for the 2.5 lbs grain?). From there, top up to 6.5 gal and do the boil. Will this work well enough? Should I think about adding maybe a half pound of sugar to the end of the boil to boost to OG?

Old 02-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #868
Sevenal
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
I think I'll keep the same method - 3 gallons water mash on the stove wrapped in a towel. But instead of dunking the grains 10 times, I'll do this and rinse with a strainer (maybe 1 gallon for the 2.5 lbs grain?). From there, top up to 6.5 gal and do the boil. Will this work well enough? Should I think about adding maybe a half pound of sugar to the end of the boil to boost to OG?
Adding sugar to Big Heavy Stouts works good for me due to my inclination of making half and half with Lager.
IMHO I would not put non fermentables in this brew, the specialty grains are difficult enough to convert so my 2 cents say no sugar. If you are trying to hit the OG use some DME. This beer is just too good to take the chance of a cider taste distracting from the magic.

You will still make a good Ale but not the one most people are probably producing.

Good Luck and enjoy the TFZD

Old 02-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #869
Adaman05
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice. I'll just stick to the mash method I described I guess and forget about any sugar. Was just wondering if I needed to add something to boost my og, maybe even a bit more DME. My last batch came in at 1.058, as previously mentioned. Going to cold crash it on Monday and bottle it on Wednesday. It finished at 1.018, so right around 5.25%. A bit low, but I won't care if it's a citra-flavor bomb. I used a starter of 1968 last time. I'm thinking about switching up the yeast this time and using the S-04. I've never used dry yeast before. Is one pack enough to do the job? I've read in this thread about people pitching two packs and not re-hydrating (with good results).

Old 02-17-2013, 12:04 PM   #870
Sevenal
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

S-04 worked well for me. This recipe alone must be responsible for major depletion of these wonderful Citra hops. Can't think of a better use.

Primary 1 American Pale Ale - 1st run - 3 gal - OG 1.06
Primary 2 Special Stout -2nd run plus DME, Steeped Grains - 4.5 gal - OG 1.07

Quick Reply