Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > 3 FLoyds Zombie Dust attempt. Help/info requested

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #701
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 189 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottland View Post

So getting back to my point about Citra. One of the four batches of Citra I got was ridiculously tropical fruit-like. It just absolutely reeked like fruit punch, so much, that it was hard to smell the hop. Another was a nice mix of tropical fruit and citrus, another was a mix of heavy resin and mango, and the final one was mostly resin, and was a little bit catty.
I have experienced this exact same thing with Citra. The first batch I made of this recipe tasted like an over ripe mango. So fruity it was cloying.

The next batch a friend and I brewed was a lot more on the citrus side with balanced fruitiness. Very close to the original.

I wonder what this years Citra from Hops Direct will be like? I was planning on brewing this again soon - hoping for the balanced Citra and not the over ripe mango.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #702
scottland
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin View Post
I have experienced this exact same thing with Citra. The first batch I made of this recipe tasted like an over ripe mango. So fruity it was cloying.

The next batch a friend and I brewed was a lot more on the citrus side with balanced fruitiness. Very close to the original.

I wonder what this years Citra from Hops Direct will be like? I was planning on brewing this again soon - hoping for the balanced Citra and not the over ripe mango.
That's my favorite. I got a pound of it last year, and I'm still nursing it. It was the Citrus mixed with tropical fruit. There's some resin in there too. It was a really good crop. FYI Hops Direct (Puterbaugh Farms) doesn't grow Citra. They source a good chunk Citra, but I believe they pelletize it themselves.

My second fav was from Morebeer. Not sure where they buy in bulk from (brewer's supply group maybe?) That was the heavy resin and mango one. It was really, really oily, with a really nice dank character that really worked with the tropical fruit.

Of the other two, one were Hop Union packs, and the fourth i can't remember. I store them in mason jars and vacuum bags, so I forget which was which.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #703
jmich24
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Just tasted my Zombie Dust Clone. My god, the nose on this beer is so amazing (with 9.25 ounces of Citra it better be). It has only been one week since I kegged it and is not fully carbed yet. It is going to take a **** ton of will power to stay away from this one for another week. Thanks for the recipe.

Kegged: Galaxy IPA, Belgian Dubbel and Cherry Funk (Flanders Red + 10 lbs cherries)

Primary: Ned Flanders Red, RR Consecration on 2nd Gen Roeselare, Soured BDSA, Brett B ESB, Brett Trios Oatmeal Stout runnings.

Next: Oro de Calabaza Clone, Backwoods Bastard Clone, House IPA, House APA, German Hefe.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #704
jtejedor
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Got silver medal at the local comp in pale ale category with this recipe! Even though I came out a little strong at 6.5%. Great beer I think I am liking it more as it ages and the flavors start blending a bit.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #705
Landshark67
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I was at the brewery two weeks ago. I was able to enjoy ZD on tap and also bought two cases on my way out.

Today's ZD is not 100% Citra. This was confirmed by folks at the brewery. There is a strong aroma from the Citra so it's more likely they are bittering with something else....my palate suggests Columbus and using Citra as a dry hop.

The key to replicating this beer is FWH to smooth the bitterness, and avoiding any hops that are piney/resinous. Avoid Simcoe or any dank hop. ZD is designed to emphasize the Citra hops balanced with a smooth bitterness.

Note: of the 3 Floyds, only one is active with the brewery. The father does a little landscaping but that's it. One brother is completely disconnected from the brewery. This was also confirmed by the folks at the brewery.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:06 AM   #706
whitehause
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 28

My next batch I might try magnum as the 60 min addition just for bittering. It's clean and shouldn't hurt the recipe. I just want to save as much Citra as possible since it seems to be going quick this year and I only ordered a pound.

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern
CBelli Likes This 
Old 10-29-2012, 04:50 AM   #707
deercreek
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I tried waiting, but threw a bottle in the fridge after a week. It's been awhile since I had the real deal, but I think the color of mine is a little darker. But it smelled like Zombie Dust and seemed to taste pretty close as well. I tried a Summit Sága recently and could smell the Citra, so it reminded me of that as well. I'm a day away from the rest being in bottles for two weeks, and I know of a pub that may put on a keg of the real deal this week. I'm going to try to either get a growler or take a couple of bottles of mine in to do a side by side tasting. It may be put on tap on Halloween, so I may be out of luck.

Thanks for the recipe. This was my third batch of homebrew. The first two were Northern Brewer kits so this was my first batch from a recipe. I have a feeling I'll be preordering a bunch of Citra soon.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:37 PM   #708
Desrever
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Brewed this recipe 8/18/12 just starting to drink it now. Great Recipe

Old 11-04-2012, 02:57 AM   #709
mwandrusz
Recipes 

Anyone have any tips on clearing out the beer after the dryhop? I dryhopped in a fine mesh bag with glass marbles to keep it submerged, but the final result was hazy. I used Irish moss in the boil and use clarex to make gluten drop for my gluten sensitive wife (it does work for her)- but still got cloudy beer. Tasted fantastic though.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:40 AM   #710
squeekybobo
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It'll clear, given time in bottles or a keg. You could cold crash it for a couple days of you'd like. Most dry hopped beers I've made we're cloudy at first too.

Quick Reply