Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > 3 FLoyds Zombie Dust attempt. Help/info requested

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #611
forcabrew
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Just tasted this after 10 days. My recipe was modified a bit but my of was 1.072 and my fg hit 1.018 with us05. The sample was great and I threw my dry hops right in the primary. Can't wait to drink it

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #612
PLAYERSONLY
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeezerpleezer View Post
Pale Malt wont make a big difference; you will be fine. The OG difference is probably due to efficiency. What do you have your default set as?

I usually let it primary for around 14 days, rack to a keg or secondary, and then dryhop. I have drank it as young as about 3 weeks and it was good, but it gets really good a couple weeks later.
Skeezer.... just wondering why so long on primary? I've made this 4 times now. 1st all grain attempt is in the fermenter right now since last Sunday. My previous batches have been done in primary in 4-6 days. Using 2 pkgs of S-04. I haven't had the chance to pull a gravity reading on this batch yet but I will tonight and my guess is come Sunday I'll get the same reading.

1st batch was the best but all 3 have been good enough that it doesn't last too long around my house.
Thanks for the great recipe.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #613
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 362 Times on 204 Posts

Mostly due to laziness and to let more of the yeast to drop out prior to dryhopping. Primary fermentation is usually done by 5 days or so though.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #614
redshift76
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebrew17 View Post
How the heck did you get 65 IBUs for this 6 gallon one? When I enter it into beersmith, it says 108 IBUs. For example .75 oz 12.4% = 26.9 IBUs when i enter it (20 mins). Also 1.25 oz 12.4% @ 15 min = 36.7 IBUs
The recipe does not look to have the boil time factored into the FWH:
- 0.75 oz Citra [12.40%] (First Wort Hop) Hops 17.0 IBU***

I get 82 IBU (total) in BeerSmith when I enter .75 Citra FWH 60 min & keep all other hops additions the same.

From Brad Smith (BeerSmith author):

Brad Smith April 10, 2012 at 3:20 pm
For a first wort hop the correct time to enter is the boil time (60 minutes for a 60 minute boil).

I'm going with .75 Citra FWH w/ 60 min boil because that's what Skeezer & others worked out as the best hop combo regardless of what the IBUs end up at.

Thanks everyone for your work on this, going to brew it this weekend - excited

Old 08-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #615
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yeah, the actual ibus and "perceived" ibus are different. It seems most people agree that FWH gives a "smoother" bitterness, so the calculating as 20 instead of 60 is to reflect that. It definitely doesn't taste like an 82 IBU beer.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #616
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I got 115 calculated IBUs for a low OG IIPA with lots of late additions, and very little early additions. The real IBUs were probably only about 55-65.

The reverse can also be true. The Can You Brew It podcast for high OG "Dankness IIPA" measures only at about 45 IBUs when you plug it into brew software, but it's probably much higher than that with all of the late additions.

Flameout additions can add some IBUs, which can be more substantial if you flameout with 3-4 oz. obviously as opposed to the typical 0-2 oz.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:55 PM   #617
Face Eater
I brew beer....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just tapped my attempt at this brew last night. It's awesome! Can't wait to do a side by side with the real thing. My version is definitely a tad more bitter than zombie dust. Color looks great, nice aroma, and I'm guessing it's real close. Will update after I do the side by side with the real deal.

20120802_164848-1.jpg  

Old 08-08-2012, 03:11 AM   #618
jmich24
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Can anyone tell me the water profile used for this recipe?

Kegged: Galaxy IPA, Belgian Dubbel and Cherry Funk (Flanders Red + 10 lbs cherries)

Primary: Ned Flanders Red, RR Consecration on 2nd Gen Roeselare, Soured BDSA, Brett B ESB, Brett Trios Oatmeal Stout runnings.

Next: Oro de Calabaza Clone, Backwoods Bastard Clone, House IPA, House APA, German Hefe.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:24 AM   #619
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmich24
Can anyone tell me the water profile used for this recipe?
I started in the NW Chicago burbs without treating at all. Now i am in North Atlanta (used a tsp of gypsum on the last batch). I don't have the #s handy though

Old 08-08-2012, 06:15 AM   #620
raney
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hey thanks for the recipe it looks great I love Zombie Dust..I did an extract version 2 weeks ago that's going into bottles tomorrow. I recently started going all grain last week, and plan to do a ag version of this Thursday to compare.

I am using iBrewmaster, and every time I plug the numbers in I can't get the same OG. I always come up to around 1.055 for all grain, and I think it was around the same for extract. Is the OG right for a 6 gallon batch in the recipe posted? It could just be due to the different programs, but so far I hit my extract version OG right on target, and the first AG brew I did last week was right on target too.

Am I putting something in wrong to get these numbers? I just wanted to check as I am going to get the ingredients tomorrow..should I add more 2-row to get to that target OG, or follow the recipe and have a lighter beer? Sorry if this is hard to read..it's 2:00 am and I am typing this out on my cell phone. Thanks for the help

edit: so I ran the numbers again and realized I was set to 70% efficiency...is your recipe assuming 80% efficiency? I added 2lbs of 2-row at 70% and hit the numbers right on, does this sound right? Sorry for the newb question I just started AG this last week. can't wait until this is ready!

Quick Reply