Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > 3 FLoyds Zombie Dust attempt. Help/info requested

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2011, 09:57 PM   #111
madbird1977
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just brewed up the extract recipe yesterday, its went great. No issues, except couldnt' get the temps to stay perfectly in the 150s...sooooo would love to move on from the burner.

Anyways, its ferementing away and it should be good to go soon.

Hit the OG right on 1.065.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2011, 01:58 AM   #112
lou2row
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Went to check on your new water quality skeeter. The Consumer Confidence Report for Roswell told me nothing about hardness levels, or mineral content. Really pretty though, and someone needs to explain what a maximum contaminant level goal is. I believe the entire report is wrong in that column. (I do this report for my city)

You will have to check with the plant and hopefully get someone that can help.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:44 AM   #113
muthafuggle
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Brewed a 6 gallon batch (all grain) on Sunday and rather than having four late hops additions, I first wort hopped and then just continuously hopped the beer for the last 15 minutes. Throw a pellet, wait a beat. Throw a pellet, wait a beat.

Just to make things more interesting, I split the batch in to two carboys and pitched S-04 into one and Notty in the other.

I'll let you know how it turned out.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"

Primary:
Secondary: Bwa-Ha-Ha!! we don't need no steenking secondary!!
Bottled: 2tun Scotchpocalypse (12.12.12)
Kegged: LH Milk Stout Clone

Old 10-21-2011, 03:34 AM   #114
bluetieman
Recipes 

Default So is there a concensus on the recipe?

Would it be Skeezer's latest? Also, will the color be close to this (if not what adjustment would you recommend?:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-NRwfeRzjWr...0/IMAG0570.jpg

Old 10-21-2011, 03:50 PM   #115
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 23 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 244 Posts

I bottled my latest try Monday (latest recipe split into 2 fermenters with S-04 and S-05). I usually keg, but since it was only 2-2.5g of each and i had about 50 empty bombers i decided to bottle. The hydrometer samples were good, with S-04 being a little fruitier and less bitter. It also finished a couple points higher (1.017). I may crack one of each this weekend. there is a picture showing the colors on page 7 of this thread.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:41 PM   #116
Diesel48
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just tasted my first batch. Hit OG, finished at 1.013. Tasted and smelled amazing!

Old 10-25-2011, 07:58 PM   #117
kshuler
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Finished my 1st batch of this with US-05, based on the second recipe posted by Skeezerpleezer (with 1.13 lbs of munich). Finished at 1.017, not sure why so high as I hit OG very closely. Fermented at 64 degrees for 7 days, then down to 59 for 2 weeks to settle. I actually did a secondary on this and then just filtered before kegging with a 1 micron filter. It is beautiful and sparkling clear. Smell is heavenly, and the taste is fantastic even though not dry hopped yet. Has a strong citrus flavor with a hint of tropical something- I can't quite put my finger on it. Delicious. I have it keg hoping right now on 3 oz of citra pellets in a hop bag. Can't wait to smell it after this!

It has a lovely flavor, not too bitter (just about perfect for my tastes), and has a nice crispness that I think may have been due to my actually checking the mash pH and adding 2.5 ml of 88% lactic acid when I found it was too alkaline (despite treating my water).

Skeezerpleezer- just want to thank you for this recipe. It is fantastic.

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

-------------------------------------------
http://www.bokehtests.com
http://web.mac.com/kshuler/Site/Welcome.html

Old 10-26-2011, 12:31 AM   #118
GodOfThunder
Recipes 

I'm planning on doing an extract version of this, that is slightly more beefed up. Here's my recipe so far...

1 lb. Carafoam malt (steeping)
1 lb. Caramel Wheat malt (steeping)
1 lb. Melanoiden Malt (steeping)
6lb. light LME (at 155)
3lb. wheat LME (at 155)
1.00 oz Citra with 20 minutes to go during steep (leave at 155 after adding LME, before boil)
1.25 oz Citra at 15 mins
1.25 oz Citra at 10 mins
0.75 oz Citra at 5 mins
1.00 oz Citra at flameout
3.50 oz Citra dry hop 10 days
California Ale Yeast

Old 10-26-2011, 01:55 AM   #119
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 23 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 244 Posts

Kshuler- glad the enjoyed the recipe. The smell does get way better after the dryhopping, so you have something to look forward to. I know I have seen a lot of people complain of Citra making a "cat piss", or onion, or other smells, but I am with you on this with the citrus/tropical. Perhaps it is due to not having any 60min bittering addition and almost all hops at the end? I have never had an issue with any other beers using lots of Citra either. I would like to have someone that doesn't like Citra try this and see what they think. I really like the bitterness/alcohol balance with the loads of hop flavor in this one. Kinda surprised myself and friends that have tried it that i came up with this recipe. As for fg, I think my last S-05 was 1.064-65/1.015. S-04 finished at 1.017.

I wish I had your some of your equipment (rims/filtering).

GodOfThunder-
Have you ran #s in beersmith? If not I can when I get back home Thursday. I would consider changing the wheat DME to light DME. Maybe upping the ibus a bit also to help balance the additional gravity. Also, you may consider adding some of the DME later in the boil. I only did 2 extract recipes, neither hoppy beers, so dont know for sure, but adding it at different times helps hop utilization. Perhaps someone with more extract ipa experience will chime in on that. I imagine it will be a good beer either way. Let me know if you want the beersmith #s.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:18 AM   #120
GodOfThunder
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeezerpleezer View Post
GodOfThunder-
Have you ran #s in beersmith? If not I can when I get back home Thursday. I would consider changing the wheat DME to light DME. Maybe upping the ibus a bit also to help balance the additional gravity. Also, you may consider adding some of the DME later in the boil. I only did 2 extract recipes, neither hoppy beers, so dont know for sure, but adding it at different times helps hop utilization. Perhaps someone with more extract ipa experience will chime in on that. I imagine it will be a good beer either way. Let me know if you want the beersmith #s.

No, I haven't ran the numbers. This is actually only my second batch, and I was just winging it based on your recipe, and hoping for the best.

I just ran them on another calculator and get OG 1.074, 79IBUs. Hopefully 1.019 FG. Seems pretty good...

I know what I have isn't really going to give me a Zombie Dust clone, but more of a wheat pale ale with Citra (I think).

I appreciate any advice.

Quick Reply