New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > 3 FLoyds Zombie Dust attempt. Help/info requested

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 01:18 AM   #1011
hawkeyes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosaisu View Post
Yes, and it's fantastic. Just note that it's a partial mash recipe, you won't get the same results if you just steep the grains the way you would with a straight extract recipe. As noted above there are specific comments in the thread on how to do the partial mash.
I have done BIAB before so I should be good. Is this for a 5 gallon batch?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #1012
scsjohn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Hello all,

just brewed this on July 31. Used S-04. Made a yeast starter and it was fermenting within hours--going crazy. Hope it turns out well and thanks for the recipe.

Could not get carafoam and so used carapils.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #1013
ron,ar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I made this beer from the original recipe skeeter posted. It was a "cat pee" smelling son of a gun for a while but it mellowed out after a month or so and I drank every one, last one a week ago. I will brew this again.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:24 PM   #1014
savylemons
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron,ar View Post
I made this beer from the original recipe skeeter posted. It was a "cat pee" smelling son of a gun for a while but it mellowed out after a month or so and I drank every one, last one a week ago. I will brew this again.
I've noticed cat pee aroma from the citra I bought in bulk at the beginning of the year. Nothing like the over ripe mango I used to get from previous crops of citra. My thinking is that the brewerys are selecting all the nice tropical citra crops and leaving us homebrewers with the catty crops. It still makes a very nice beer I just enjoy the more tropical citra.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #1015
ja09
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by savylemons View Post
I've noticed cat pee aroma from the citra I bought in bulk at the beginning of the year. Nothing like the over ripe mango I used to get from previous crops of citra. My thinking is that the brewerys are selecting all the nice tropical citra crops and leaving us homebrewers with the catty crops. It still makes a very nice beer I just enjoy the more tropical citra.
The citra I ordered from Williams had a phenomenal fresh tropical aroma. No cat pee whatsoever. The citra from Northern was much less aromatic, but I still didn't get much cat pee. Just tried my ZD with both sources before kegging and it tasted amazing. Again no cat pee. I just wish I would have saved the Williams citra for dry hopping.. Pretty sure I opened that bag first for bittering

Old 08-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #1016
savylemons
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja09 View Post
The citra I ordered from Williams had a phenomenal fresh tropical aroma. No cat pee whatsoever. The citra from Northern was much less aromatic, but I still didn't get much cat pee. Just tried my ZD with both sources before kegging and it tasted amazing. Again no cat pee. I just wish I would have saved the Williams citra for dry hopping.. Pretty sure I opened that bag first for bittering
It makes me not want to buy citra in bulk since it's hit or moss but it still beats paying 3$ an ounce at the lhbs

Old 08-07-2013, 03:43 AM   #1017
ja09
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by savylemons View Post

It makes me not want to buy citra in bulk since it's hit or moss but it still beats paying 3$ an ounce at the lhbs
I hear ya. I have Northern and Midwest minutes from my house which is super convenient, but they don't offer sh*t for bulk hops so I usually just suck it up and pay retail

Old 08-14-2013, 01:01 AM   #1018
TheWitGuy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by businesstime View Post
My attempt at this with the most up to date recipe. DELICIOUS. I wish I could remember what the real thing tasted like, as it was almost 6 months ago. Regardless, the intense tropical, passion fruit like aroma and flavors are just fantastic. I hadn't had much luck with wyeast 1968, but my hopes have been resurrected!

Wow I would say that yours looks the closest to the real thing. What did you change from the original recipe?

Old 08-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #1019
jawilson20
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Looking at the recipe in post one it lists a mash temp of 154 and WY 1968 yeast. Doesn't that mash temp seem a bit high when using a low attenuating yeast like the 1968?

LIKE MY FACEBOOK PAGE

https://www.facebook.com/ResurgensBrewing

Old 08-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #1020
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 263 Times on 139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawilson20 View Post
Looking at the recipe in post one it lists a mash temp of 154 and WY 1968 yeast. Doesn't that mash temp seem a bit high when using a low attenuating yeast like the 1968?
Apparently you missed this part of post #1: "I have also used 1968 and it was similar to the S-04, perhaps a bit fruitier and it was sweeter/higher FG. If using it I would recommend mashing a few degrees cooler."

Quick Reply