Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > 3 FLoyds Zombie Dust attempt. Help/info requested

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2013, 03:45 PM   #1001
dougsoulang
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeezerpleezer View Post
It hasn't changed, maybe mash a couple degrees lower, 152-153 or so.
Thanks very much for the info Skeezer. I live a couple hours south of 3F, and have had more than my fair share of ZD. I'll try to do my part to keep y'all updated on the results and my comparison.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2013, 12:27 AM   #1002
hawkeyes
Recipes 

Anyone try the extract version of this? If so, how did it turn out?

Old 07-29-2013, 12:38 AM   #1003
skeezerpleezer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 23 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 243 Posts

Lots have. I would recommend checking sone of the last 100 pages. Lots of results/comments and probably quicker than waiting for a few replies.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:20 AM   #1004
DrHops
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Has anyone tried the Austin Homebrew clone kit yet? I priced it out and if their kit is any good it's cheaper to buy the kit than to assemble the ingredients yourself.

On Deck:

1. Dragonfly Wiz (hard lemonade)
2. Dragonfly Blood (strawberry hard lemonade)
3. Alpine Spring clone
4. IIPA
5. Belma S.M.A.S.H.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:43 AM   #1005
fosaisu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyes View Post
Anyone try the extract version of this? If so, how did it turn out?
Yes, and it's fantastic. Just note that it's a partial mash recipe, you won't get the same results if you just steep the grains the way you would with a straight extract recipe. As noted above there are specific comments in the thread on how to do the partial mash.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #1006
miss0033
Recipes 

I brewed on saturday afternoon. Sunday afternoon the fermentation temp (per fermometer strip on glass carboy) was around 72 degrees (in a 62 degree dark basement). This is my first time using S-04, should I be worried about estery flavors?

Old 07-30-2013, 12:44 AM   #1007
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss0033 View Post
I brewed on saturday afternoon. Sunday afternoon the fermentation temp (per fermometer strip on glass carboy) was around 72 degrees (in a 62 degree dark basement). This is my first time using S-04, should I be worried about estery flavors?
Gettin close... I haven't used 04 that high, but it'll blow through the wort pretty fast as higher temps.. Won't be clean though, but with enough hops you might not pick up on it as bad. Might have a little fusel alcohols and a slight cidery note if it wasn't controlled soon enough.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 07-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #1008
PLAYERSONLY
Recipes 

Quote:
Wrap or drape wet towels on the carboys. It'll bring the temp down a couple degrees. Fan helps too but will dry the towel out fast.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:27 PM   #1009
miss0033
Recipes 

Thanks for the feedback. Last time I used 1272 when I tried this recipe because I was still relatively new to the hobby (still am, but have 15 batches under my belt). But, was disappointed with the amount of chill haze the beer developed...

I scale it down to 3 gallons BIAB, and sadly am only hitting 63% efficiency (but hitting it regularly +/- 3%) so I still need to up the grain bill a little more. That being said I tired a "hop stand" with this recipe as well. I didnt change any of the additions, but chilled to 185 then let it sit for 45 minutes during which it dropped to 143 on its own. Then proceeded to chill it down to high 70s. It got to a point of diminishing returns where it was 3 minutes of running water through IC to get it to lower 1-2 degrees. I had a TON of huge fluffy, clouds in the sky looking, cold break that wouldnt settle to the bottom. I suppose I couldve tried a pseudo-whirlpool with my stirring spoon and let it sit, but I just transferred anyway. It started at 176 and I thought it would lower on its own before fermentation really took off. Nope later that night the airlock was bubbling away, 1"+ of krausen, and temp was a steady 72. Sunday afternoon (roughly 24 hours later) down to 70. Monday morning 68, Monday afternoon 64-66 with minimal airlock activity. I am going to let it sit for 2 more weeks (2.5 weeks total) before I transfer to secondary and dryhop for 7 more days.

I will try wet towels in the future with this yeast. Other yeasts I have used I havent had to worry about high 60s and low 70s, but I've read about S-04 being a finicky yeast.

On a recommendation from my LHBS employee, I used 1/2 Whirlfloc tab at 5 minutes, a pinch of irish moss at 15min, AND WL's Clarity-Ferm just before pitching yeast. Seems like an awful lot of extra chemicals in my beer... just to avoid chill haze again. My other beers using the same methods have come out clear I dont know why this one was so incredibly hazy before, still tasted awesome though. I have used whirlfloc and irish moss in small amounts of both before and been fine, we will see what Clairty-Ferm does.

I dont quite understand the hopstands fully. Would I have needed to actually add hops to gain anything? Or just letting the hops sit between 185 and 140 give me any benefit?

Also I see the batch size is 6 gallons. I am correct in assuming 6 FINAL gallons? Not 6 gallons boil, or 6 gallons minus .5 gallons for hop and equipment loss? I just want to be sure because the first time I thought there needed to be more hops to get the flavors you guys were describing. The beer was good, but not outstanding. Maybe it was just a utilization problem on my part as I also missed the whole FWH thing the first time and did a 60min addition, I suppose that would effect things as well.

sorry for the huge post. Still learning and trying to "dial-in" a beer that I can/and want to repeat regularly.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:59 PM   #1010
savylemons
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
I've brewed this recipe several times and the last time I made it the S04 also took me 10 degrees above ambient temp and got to the lower 70s and it was definitely my least favorite batch. Definitely drinkable but the esters that s04 put out at that temp are not very pleasing and come through noticeably even through all the hops and dry hops.

Quick Reply