.25oz Coriander in a Wit? URGENT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems to be a bit much figuring a 5G batch, maybe it was meant to be 1/4 teaspoon.

Here's another example. This one calls for .75oz. All may be well and good I'm just looking for someone with experience using coriander to confirm that the volume is right. (not that I don't trust my scale)

* 4 lbs DeWolf-Cosyns "Pils" malt
* 3 lbs flaked (unmalted) wheat (cracked wheat works fine)
* 6 oz rolled oats
* 1 oz Saaz hops (3.2% AA)
* 1 oz bitter Curacao orange peel
* 3/4 oz sweet orange or tangerine peel
* 3/4 oz fresh ground coriander seed
* 1/2 oz fresh ground anise seed
* A pinch of ground cumin
* 10 ml 88% food-grade lactic acid (at bottling)
* 1 cup corn sugar (priming)
* BrewTek "Belgian Wheat" yeast

While it may be too late for the OP... I just went a weighed (on a digital scale) the whole coriander I have and 2 Tablespoons added up to 3/8 oz... 3 Tablespoons was 5/8. There is probably a little room for error since the scale only displays in increments of 1/8, but it should give some frame of reference.
My PSA:
Remember, take it easy on the spices unless you are absolutely sure you know how they will affect the flavor... underspicing is much more preferable than overspicing... in my opinion at least. Coriander is powerful stuff.

While it may be too late for the OP... I just went a weighed (on a digital scale) the whole coriander I have and 2 Tablespoons added up to 3/8 oz... 3 Tablespoons was 5/8. There is probably a little room for error since the scale only displays in increments of 1/8, but it should give some frame of reference.
My PSA:
Remember, take it easy on the spices unless you are absolutely sure you know how they will affect the flavor... underspicing is much more preferable than overspicing... in my opinion at least. Coriander is powerful stuff.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. My digital scale is accurate, I guess my coriander is just light. They are bigger in size than some of my other spices. These are bigger than BBs. So, that probably accounts for the variance.

Thanks again, I think I'll be ok.

0.75 oz is about right for a Wit, as long as you just lightly crush it (so each seed is cracked, but not ground all the way down to powder). The more finely you grind, the more intense flavor you get, so the less you should use. This also depends on how fresh the coriander is: with old seeds that you might find in a grocery store you might need more (up to or even beyond a full oz) compared to fresher more aromatic seeds.

For whatever it is worth, I am drinking a wit right now that had 1 oz corriander in it. It is fantastic! I dont own any sort of device to crush with other than a rolling pin. I just stuck the corriander in a zip lock bag and used the rolling pin... I am very happy with the results.

I added .5oz whole then crushed to my wit and it came the a jar the size of one of those little stubby looking McKormick jars that you see in any spice isle.

Also, any spice should either always be done by weight or by volume. To say you have .5oz corriander that you weighed out and then to try and put that same .5oz in a .50z liquid measure, I think, is totally different. It's just not relative.

Back