Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > 2012 Aussie/NZ hop crop?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #1
Jhenjum
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Stillwater, MN
Posts: 40
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 2012 Aussie/NZ hop crop?

When might we expect the south Pacific crop to become available?

__________________
Jhenjum is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 2,412
Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

Default

Most became available in the summer of 2011 last year

__________________
terrapinj is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
Varmintman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: idaho falls, idaho
Posts: 2,087
Liked 653 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Default

Crap my wife is in New Zealand right now and it is the end of summer there. Assuming I can convince her to bring a couple of pounds back with her does anyone know the legalities involved.

I ask because you would not believe what we went through to ship other things international.

__________________
Varmintman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
ao125
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 486
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmintman View Post
Crap my wife is in New Zealand right now and it is the end of summer there. Assuming I can convince her to bring a couple of pounds back with her does anyone know the legalities involved.

I ask because you would not believe what we went through to ship other things international.


US to NZ/AUS - Good luck with that. I saw customs take down a mother trying to feed her kid baby food they brought in from abroad, at the airport in Australia.

NZ/AUS to US - Ezmode. Just put it in your checked luggage. Make sure it's clearly labeled.
__________________

Kegged (1/3): Traditional Old Ale w/ Smith Bowman Bourbon
Kegged (2/3): English Barleywine with pineapple chunks & brown sugar
Kegged (3/3): Belgian blond w/ passion fruit and brett & lacto
ao125 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
Varmintman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: idaho falls, idaho
Posts: 2,087
Liked 653 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao125 View Post
US to NZ/AUS - Good luck with that. I saw customs take down a mother trying to feed her kid baby food they brought in from abroad, in at the airport in Australia.

NZ/AUS to US - Ezmode. Just put it in your checked luggage. Make sure it's clearly labeled.
Right on man. And since she has family in Oz she will come back that way and visit them I am sure.

Now the hard part convincing her to grab some and bring it back LOL
__________________
Varmintman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #6
ao125
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 486
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmintman View Post
Right on man. And since she has family in Oz she will come back that way and visit them I am sure.

Now the hard part convincing her to grab some and bring it back LOL
If she is coming through Australia, I wouldn't buy anything in NZ first.
Customs will confiscate any and all fruit & veg coming into NZ or Aus, no matter where it came from... even if it's just the next island over.
Got to read all of the fun customs signs in the airport when I was traveling in Aus with my ex wife.

I'd just get some Australian Galaxy and Pride of Ringwood.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hop_varieties#Australian_.2F_New_Zealand
__________________

Kegged (1/3): Traditional Old Ale w/ Smith Bowman Bourbon
Kegged (2/3): English Barleywine with pineapple chunks & brown sugar
Kegged (3/3): Belgian blond w/ passion fruit and brett & lacto
ao125 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
Varmintman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: idaho falls, idaho
Posts: 2,087
Liked 653 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao125 View Post
If she is coming through Australia, I wouldn't buy anything in NZ first.
Customs will confiscate any and all fruit & veg coming into NZ or Aus, no matter where it came from... even if it's just the next island over.
Got to read all of the fun customs signs in the airport when I was traveling in Aus with my ex wife.

I'd just get some Australian Galaxy and Pride of Ringwood.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hop_varieties#Australian_.2F_New_Zealand
Well damn. That just sucks I guess. Oh well all the more reason to try and grow my own I guess
__________________
Varmintman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #8
ao125
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 486
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

Rebel has NZ hops in stock
http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingcart/categories/Brewing-Ingredients/Hops/New-Zealand-Hops/

I got lots of NZ Nelson Sauvin and Rakau pellet hops there, and it was good quality.

__________________

Kegged (1/3): Traditional Old Ale w/ Smith Bowman Bourbon
Kegged (2/3): English Barleywine with pineapple chunks & brown sugar
Kegged (3/3): Belgian blond w/ passion fruit and brett & lacto
ao125 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #9
Varmintman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: idaho falls, idaho
Posts: 2,087
Liked 653 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Default

I think it was the hallertau hops I used before that I liked. And dang at 1.79 you cannot go wrong with that I guess.

With out looking at my brew log it seems to me that I used it in a amber bock and dry hopped with them. I thought it was very similar to saaz.

__________________
Varmintman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #10
ao125
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 486
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

I did the barleywine in my sig with Nelson Sauvin, as well as an all-Nelson Sauvin IIPA. It's a great hop.

A friend of mine with a brewery that shall not be named, took their Belgian pale ale, and put it in a cask w/ Rakau hops and chunks of frozen mango. Really great stuff.

__________________

Kegged (1/3): Traditional Old Ale w/ Smith Bowman Bourbon
Kegged (2/3): English Barleywine with pineapple chunks & brown sugar
Kegged (3/3): Belgian blond w/ passion fruit and brett & lacto
ao125 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools