Last days to enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > 2009 Dechutes Jubelale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2009, 08:35 PM   #11
MattHollingsworth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I used to be the "intoxication master" at a Halloween party on Hawthorne in Portland that takes place every year, and still does. This meant I was in charge of kegs for one thing. Around 2000 we got a keg of Jubelale, a keg of Elysian ESB from Seattle and a keg of Lindemans Framboise (a pony keg). People were so happy with that selection. Wide range of flavors.

Sniff. I miss Northwest beers. But especially Deschutes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2009, 09:02 PM   #12
oswegan
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdagrate View Post
This year's tastes VERY different from the 2007 version. It tastes somewhat similar to 2008's, however.

I did a vertical tasting with 2005 through 2008 last year and there was wide variation in taste and color, too wide for age alone to explain. I think they use a different recipe every year.
I just called and it turns out that it's the same recipe every year.

They have it on tap down in NW Portland at the new Deschutes Taproom. I found out that they also brew it at that location so I am going to go down there for happy hour and do some research. I will act like a guy whose just having a beer and see if I can squeeze the brewer for information.

Full report at 11.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:10 PM   #13
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 314 Times on 312 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by oswegan View Post
I just called and it turns out that it's the same recipe every year.

They have it on tap down in NW Portland at the new Deschutes Taproom. I found out that they also brew it at that location so I am going to go down there for happy hour and do some research. I will act like a guy whose just having a beer and see if I can squeeze the brewer for information.

Full report at 11.
Any report?

Old 09-29-2009, 05:11 PM   #14
oswegan
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
Any report?
Yes, my apologies it was bit of a rough evening. You see I was on my way to the Deshutes Taproom when I made the mistake of passing Bridgeport Brewing. Just at that moment I realized that Bridgeport released it's Hop Harvest ale and it's Hop Czar over the weekend, and at $2.75 an imperial pint for happy hour, I found it nearly impossible to resist. So I opted for the Hop Harvest, which they say features primarily fresh Chinook hops, with the full intention of making the Taproom my next stop. But when I left Bridgeport I realized I was late fo the MNF/poker party I was ultimately headed to so opted to pick up a sixer of Jubelale at the Safeway across the street which was on sale for $5.99. At the party we discussed the merits of Jubelale, among other things, over a friendly Texas Holdem tournement. When the Jubel was gone it turned out that I had been patient enough to win the tournement and so I made my way home. Today I am going to use the winnings to purchase a new Seal a Meal, so I can portion out all of my hops, and hopefully I will have time to visit the Taproom to talk to them about the Jubelale this evening, while diguised as a regular guy who likes beer.

The investigation continues - what I really hope to discover is the type of yeast they use and the hops they used this year. I believe the only thing that might change from year to year are the hops.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:25 PM   #15
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 314 Times on 312 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by oswegan View Post
Yes, my apologies it was bit of a rough evening. You see I was on my way to the Deshutes Taproom when I made the mistake of passing Bridgeport Brewing. Just at that moment I realized that Bridgeport released it's Hop Harvest ale and it's Hop Czar over the weekend, and at $2.75 an imperial pint for happy hour, I found it nearly impossible to resist. So I opted for the Hop Harvest, which they say features primarily fresh Chinook hops, with the full intention of making the Taproom my next stop. But when I left Bridgeport I realized I was late fo the MNF/poker party I was ultimately headed to so opted to pick up a sixer of Jubelale at the Safeway across the street which was on sale for $5.99. At the party we discussed the merits of Jubelale, among other things, over a friendly Texas Holdem tournement. When the Jubel was gone it turned out that I had been patient enough to win the tournement and so I made my way home. Today I am going to use the winnings to purchase a new Seal a Meal, so I can portion out all of my hops, and hopefully I will have time to visit the Taproom to talk to them about the Jubelale this evening, while diguised as a regular guy who likes beer.

The investigation continues - what I really hope to discover is the type of yeast they use and the hops they used this year. I believe the only thing that might change from year to year are the hops.
Yes, the Bridgeport hop harvest is a good one, I had it last year. I also like the Ebenezer too.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:23 PM   #16
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think that Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley is a closer match to their house yeast than Wyeast 1028 London Ale which I have seen in other clone recipes of their beers... their beers seem less fruity and more crisp/minerally while full bodied, which the Thames Valley really brings. I haven't used WLP022 Essex but it may be similar to their house yeast, it's worth a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 09-29-2009, 06:26 PM   #17
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Early this year too.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:06 PM   #18
oswegan
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
I think that Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley is a closer match to their house yeast than Wyeast 1028 London Ale which I have seen in other clone recipes of their beers... their beers seem less fruity and more crisp/minerally while full bodied, which the Thames Valley really brings. I haven't used WLP022 Essex but it may be similar to their house yeast, it's worth a try.
How does the Thames Valley compare to say WLP007 Dry British Ale? I would agree that the beers have a dry flavor. But I have to admit that I don't like many of them other than the Jubelale.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:12 PM   #19
oswegan
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Well I made it to Deshutes Taproom in Portland last night and had the Jubelale on tap. It was very tasty. They said the batch was from Bend and that their Portland batch was nearly done. I found out that they use their house yeast for the jubel but I wasn't able to talk to anyone who knows exactly what the house yeast is. I also had their Fresh Hop Pale which is basically Mirror Pond with all Centennial fresh hops. I was pretty blown away by that beer. I guess I didn't expect them to have anything that good - since they have gone a little bit main stream in my eyes.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:14 PM   #20
HoppyDaze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1398 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 751

This goes to show that just because a place gets popular or "mainstream" does not always mean that quality has been sacrificed. Deschutes is and will continue to be one of the best breweries around...I need to get down there for both of those beers and whatever is on the draw tap!

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Advice for posting

Quick Reply