Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > 20 lb of sugar and a jar of yeast nutrient

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2009, 03:58 AM   #71
daveh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Noob question here (mt first HBT post!). I just attempted to make the #5 for a Westvleteren 12 clone I'm brewing tomorrow, and I'm not really sure if I was successful, it's very black...

Do these recipes use ordanary cane sugar or are you guys using beet sugar of some sort?

Thanks for all the info, this site has taught me a lot.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2009, 04:54 AM   #72
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

These recipes are with regular sucrose (Domino) sugar. The same stuff you use to make an apple pie with. I made the #5 sugar as well and it is very dark (black), much like the 300F sugar #4. I made a batch of this and a medium amber #4 sugar for a Westy 12 clone that I brewed today.

Both had a great taste and I'm thinking they will add a lot of character to the beer. As a side note the #4 sugar was very hard to work with during the brewing and I would suggest heating it up slightly before you work with it to add it to the brew kettle.

Welcome to HBT!

Old 09-22-2009, 04:56 AM   #73
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

I wanted to thank you Snickasaurasrex for doing all this work and making it possible for me to make a Belgian with this stuff. I seemed to work great and I hit my starting gravity on the nose. I'm looking forward to drinking a 9.63% abv beauty.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:13 PM   #74
Okiebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I love this thread. Thanks for the color code picture too, it will be useful.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:14 PM   #75
chase

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I made some of the "sugar #5". I'm not very happy with it though. It turned out very bitter. After the first time it reached 290º, it was really good. It had a very distinct raisin flavor, with only a slight bitterness. The second time I brought it to 290º, the raisin flavor had mostly gone away and was mostly replaced with bitterness. I didn't heat it again. I think I'll redo it but only heat it once.

Edit: I made a second batch, and only heated to 290 one time. It is very good. Not bitter. I'm putting it in a dubbel next weekend.

1º #1: RIS
1º #2: -
2º #1: Flanders Red (2009)
2º #2: Lambic (2009)
2º #3: Flanders Red (2010)
2º #4: Lambic (2010)
2º #5: Old Ale

Old 11-03-2009, 06:50 PM   #76
foxtrot
Recipes 

Chase-

I got the exact same results you did!

For my second try I heated to 290, cooled, then brought it back to about 260 and killed the heat. It kept for a week with no signs of crystalization. I too made a Dubbel this past weekend and the wort smelled and tasted devine. Wort color is a beautiful deep amber with only pale/pils malts used. I used the syrup at 15%. WLP530 is happily munching away as we speak...

I think I'll save the first one I made for a stout as it does have a nice toffee/coffee essence to it.

Thanks again to Snick for the excellent research and write-up!

Old 11-19-2009, 12:30 PM   #77
jjp36
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just an update to this. A few months back i made a batch that looks like it came in somewhere between the 270-280F in the picture above. The Tripel i used this candi syrup in took second place in the strong ale category with an average score of 38 in a recent contest i entered.

A couple fellow homebrewers who tasted this said they can pick up hints of vanilla and caramel, which would have to come from the syrup, since the rest of the recipe was just pilsner malt, saaz hops, and a touch of coriander.

Overall i am very pleased with the beer. Its only about 5 months old now, so i can't wait to see how the flavors continue to develop. Thanks again to SnickASaurusRex for the write up!

Old 11-19-2009, 02:59 PM   #78
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default vote this thread up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiebrewer View Post
I love this thread. Thanks for the color code picture too, it will be useful.
Vote early and often!

Old 01-10-2010, 10:34 PM   #79
fastricky
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

This is really a fascinating thread!

2 questions:

- If I make my syrup on brewday, can I just pour the correct amount into the boil so I don't have to cool it down/store it?

- Can I half all the ingredients to make less (I'll only need @ a pound)?

Old 01-10-2010, 11:44 PM   #80
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

1. I'm not sure if you could add it hot. I'm no candy maker but perhaps cooling it changes it somehow..... not sure. I would guess it would be fine but this is only a guess. If it is ok to do this it would be quite a bit easier as the syrup is very hard to handle once it's cold.

On another note make sure you at least do this with some buffer time built in as it can take awhile. If I were doing it on top of brewing I would be rather distracted and very short on time.

2. I changed the recipes to make smaller quantities. It seemed to work just fine.

Quick Reply