Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > 20 lb of sugar and a jar of yeast nutrient

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2009, 04:42 AM   #51
SnickASaurusRex
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 8 Posts

I have tried there products, but not side by side with mine. I can tell you they are similar, but there are small differences. My syrups have a tartness to them, like caramelized figs and dried fruits. This flavor is similar to some of the nicer single origin dark chocolates that I have tried, but it lacks that quintessential coco flavor.

There is an issue with the Sugar #5 recipe. It is not a problem, rather it is something to keep in mind. Every time you bring the sugar solution up to its top temp its max temp will lower for the next round of cooking. This means that the smoke point will lower each time.

Have you tried my Sugar #5. It is good and it is Belgium-ie. I would suggest trying the syrup as it is cheap to make and it will give you some insight to the process.

I have a Sugar #6 that I want to try, but have not gotten around to. What I want to do is cook it three times. The first time I want to cook it to 300F then render it to a syrup at 240F and let it cool. On the second cooking I want to bring it to 290F, again render to a syrup at 240F and let it cool. Then do it one more time to 280F render to syrup and let cool. I do not know if this will be a success or a big bomb. I plan to try it some time soon. If you have the sugar and time you might try a process like this. It will defiantly be dark and fragrant. This would destroy a lot of the fermentability of the product, but It might also be delicious.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2009, 03:31 AM   #52
chri5
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I made a batch of the medium amber last night, and have a question about bringing it back up to softball after adding the water. Is it absolutely necessary to bring it back up to softball, or are all of the flavors already there once you've cooled it? I ask because it would make it FAR easier to add to the fermenter/kettle if it were a bit more liquid.

I know it would result in adding additional water to the beer, but I can see a time when that may be acceptable.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:22 AM   #53
juvinious
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 4 Posts

I did #5 today, hit all the temps accurately on medium-high heat with my trusty candi thermometer. However, it seemed to have come out like the 270 light amber when I spread it on some wax paper. In the jar it looks like medium amber. I thought this would be more along the lines of a darky syrup 290-300ish. I'll have to give the 300 a go and see if that's better.

Bottled: Pyment | Strawberry Melomel

Old 06-25-2009, 01:42 AM   #54
SnickASaurusRex
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 8 Posts

I don't think that bringing it back to softball is necessary if it is going into the kettle shortly after, but for any kind of storage it would add shelf-life to the product by reducing the water content.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:07 PM   #55
juvinious
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 4 Posts

Default Extra Dark Belgian Syrup

So after being frustrated with the colors and lack of complexity in the flavors that were with the original schedules I created a modified #5 version that proved to give me pretty much what I wanted. This not only gives me the shelf stability of the #5 but also the complexity that I felt was more along the lines a extra dark candi syrup. Be aware that this takes a good chunk of time to do, I think total time I spent working on a batch was 1.5 hours. But you can store without worry of crystalization so make a big batch. I can only assume this is very similar to the "Dark 2 Belgian Candi Syrup" I've seen online. I get a nice mix of roasted oak, dark chocolate, and fruity flavors.

Extra Dark Belgian Syrup:

2 lbs Sugar (beet or cane)
2 cups of water
3 teaspoons of DAP
Bring temperature up to 310F
Add 2 cups of water
Bring temperature up to 290F
Add 1 cup of water (should leave you around 220-230F after mixed)
Bring temperature to 240F
Flameout

Here are some pics:

img_0665.jpg   img_0668.jpg  
Bottled: Pyment | Strawberry Melomel

Old 06-29-2009, 03:20 AM   #56
Mr. Nice Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I made Sam Calagiones A to Z brown ale today with the Deep Amber Syrup. It was easy to make and tasted incredible!

I'll post back when the beer is done.

10/13 on the way - Strong Ale!

Old 07-12-2009, 01:44 AM   #57
saq
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 11 Posts

Do you guys recommend buying a throwaway pot when making candi syrup like this? Whats your total weight at the end of adding 2lbs of sugar? More or less 2lbs?

Old 07-12-2009, 01:48 AM   #58
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 9

No need for another pot, it cleans up really easy afterwards. And although I haven't weighed it, it will be more than two pounds, there some water in the final syrup that will add to the weight. It does end up making almost exactly one quart though. I know because I store it in one quart mason jars.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 07-12-2009, 04:27 PM   #59
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saq View Post
Do you guys recommend buying a throwaway pot when making candi syrup like this? Whats your total weight at the end of adding 2lbs of sugar? More or less 2lbs?
I made a double batch and split it between two quart jars. The weight of just the syrup was 2.5lbs and 2.3lbs

Old 07-13-2009, 06:27 AM   #60
ThinkinDavid
Recipes 

Rex,
this is obviously a hit, thanks for introducing the idea. I'm definately going to check out RADICAL BREWING. I'm wondering if you have any other cool beer/brew related reading to suggest. Thanks

Quick Reply