Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > 20 lb of sugar and a jar of yeast nutrient

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 01:59 AM   #301
Sevenal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Got to be a great addition to the Stout I have been mulling around.
Your work is my gain. In an hour we can add a deep carmel plum profile to our wort.
I have read where people actually add the commercial product directly to the ferment stage. Anyone have any experience doing that? I am a little concerned about contamination.
Thank You Very Much!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 06:52 AM   #302
erikpete18
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenal View Post
Got to be a great addition to the Stout I have been mulling around.
Your work is my gain. In an hour we can add a deep carmel plum profile to our wort.
I have read where people actually add the commercial product directly to the ferment stage. Anyone have any experience doing that? I am a little concerned about contamination.
Thank You Very Much!
I've done that quite a few times using these recipes on Belgian beers. I generally wait until a few days into fermentation once it starts to slow and add it then, and I haven't had any contamination problems. I figure we're heating it up high enough to kill anything, and I'm adding it right after it cools down to around 90-100 degrees. You should be good to go!

Old 02-08-2013, 04:06 AM   #303
dlaney
Recipes 

I've had success with the following that closely approximates Belgian D-2 that I bought at MLHBS. It is a slight modification of sugar #5 with an inversion step based on another web page (sorry I don't have the link):

2 lbs sugar + 1 cup water stir to mix
Heat to boiling, add 1 tsp lemon juice and boil 30 min at 212-220 f by adding water occasionally to control temp.
Add 1 tsp sodium bicarbonate and 3 tsp DAP, do not stir
Over low heat allow to reach 290 then carefully add 1 cup water. Allow to reach 270 then add 1 cup water. Take off heat when it reaches 230

The recipe called for potassium bicarbonate but I didn't have any. The small amount of sodium in the baking soda does not appear to have resulted in a strange flavor. Hopefully it will not affect the beer.

The taste is pretty close to D-2 with only a slight hint of added bitterness as an aftertaste. I got impatient and put the heat up to about half intensity which may have contributed to this difference.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #304
rshortt
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the lead, dlaney. Is this where you found that info:

Nate O.'s Brew Log - Candi syrup secrets, and how to make your own

That guy seems to know what he's talking about so I'll try it that way as well sometime. I've done the sugar #5 a few times and also recently got my hands on some D-2 to compare.

Dartmouth Pilsner

Old 02-08-2013, 11:32 AM   #305
chuckstout
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 216 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 195

Thanks for your work, used a 1lb in and taste great

Old 02-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #306
BridgewaterBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 115

SnickASaurusRex, thanks for the awesome recipe and detailed info. I just ordered some DAP from AHS (free shipping this weekend on orders of $49 or more) and will be making it soon. What do you think about doing this in an oven set to 290? I don't have a candy thermometer but obviously the syrup won't exceed the temp of the oven and since you don't need to do a lot of stirring, it seems it wouldn't have to done on the stove.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #307
thirstyutahn
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sorry if this has been asked before.

How might high altitude effect the additions and temps of this recipe?
My water boils arounds 204 because I'm at about 4700-4800ft.

I've actually made this syrup before and used it successfully but I had to basically go totally off of color of syrup not temp and that worked. Also I could not for the life of me get it to stay in syrup form. I have a feeling this might be one of the areas that is effected by altitude. Perhaps I needed more water or needed to heat the solution less at that point.

Any other high altitude people out there have any tips?

Thanks

Old 02-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #308
thirstyutahn
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Oh and I definitely hit my temps right I have a thermopen that I was using. I followed the directions exactly.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:35 AM   #309
TANSTAAFB
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirstyutahn View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before.

How might high altitude effect the additions and temps of this recipe?
My water boils arounds 204 because I'm at about 4700-4800ft.

I've actually made this syrup before and used it successfully but I had to basically go totally off of color of syrup not temp and that worked. Also I could not for the life of me get it to stay in syrup form. I have a feeling this might be one of the areas that is effected by altitude. Perhaps I needed more water or needed to heat the solution less at that point.

Any other high altitude people out there have any tips?

Thanks
I had great success at 1000 ft but now I'm at 7500! I'd love some feedback on adjustments from any altitude brewers as well.
Bottled: Grizzly Saison, Grizzly Brett, Session Pale, Colorado Cream Ale, Cranberry Apfelwein
Primary: -37* Blue Balls Baltic Porter, Bad Dog Brown, Bohemian Pilsner
Secondary: Rarely!!!
Future: Cognitive Dissonance Cascadian Dark Ale

Old 03-11-2013, 02:25 AM   #310
TAPPAR
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Haven't read through the entire thread however I thought I should tell people about my experience in case it can help anyone

I used crosby and bakers yeast energizer since my LHBS didn't have pure DAP. I talked to one of the guys and he said that it was about 90% DAP when he looked it up so I figured I would shoot for just a little higher. I also read in here that the Malliard reaction didn't start until after 240ish. So my recipe is as follows:

4 lbs sugar (full bag, regular white beet sugar)
2 cups water
heat to 230, add 2 tsp yeast nutrient.
(it took a long time to come above 230-260 on a gas stove with a smallish flame)
It was taking forever to get up to 290 where I planned to stop it, I went away from the stove for about 5 min and it shot up to 320. I said 'ohh crap' and put two cups water in it.

At this point it was a amber color and had no burnt (or toasty) taste to it, but did have a very 'toasty' smell. I checked the temp and apparently my candy thermometer was about 10-20 degrees higher then it should be, so it probably only got up to 300ish. I added about 2 cups very slowly after I turned off the burner. When it got down to about 240 I added 1/2 tsp of the nutrient and heated it up to 280. It took forever to get past 260 then moved pretty quickly. It darkened a LOT on the second warm up, and developed a LOT more complexity. after it hit 280 I added another 1.5 cups water and turned off the heat.

All said and done it tastes a lot like the D2 Candi syrup I bought for my last beer. I didn't have them right next to each other however my syrup seemed to have more layers of flavor and stronger/sweeter overall taste. The first time I tasted the Candi syrup I bought it was kind of underwhelming with the flavor, tasted weak. Definitely not with what I made, and they were both very similar in viscosity.

I would highly recommend trying this. I will put it in my 3$/gal Belgian beer I am trying to develop. It is 10 lbs pils malt and probably 1/2 this syrup so I can tell what it tasted like fermented. I will be putting the other half in a ginger cider to add some complexity.

Ohh, I am in Iowa if anyone is trying to figure out how altitudes figure into the equation

Quick Reply