Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > 20 lb of sugar and a jar of yeast nutrient

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2012, 02:23 PM   #251
ReverseApacheMaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

To the fermentability question, there was a video (might be on youtube) I found on some website where they actually fermented syrup made similar to what's made in this thread and compared to to fermented D2. D2 fermented down to almost 1.000 but the homemade syrup didn't get very close. So obviously there's a lot of caramelized sugar not getting fermented out. I believe Darkcandi says D2 is 97% fermentable.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #252
thirstyutahn
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks emjay. I think I'm going to buy a candy thermometer. I have a thermapen but I also only made a half batch and even in a small pot I think it was too shallow to get a really good reading. Sounds to me like I did indeed follow the directions well I just need an actual candy thermometer.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #253
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts

Hmmm... I have a Thermapen as well and know they have a high rate of accuracy, but perhaps yours is off somehow? It should be able to take a good measurement with just a ⅛" depth.

How old is yours? Normally I would look for another explanation than question the accuracy of a Thermapen, but if you really have been following the instructions to a T, that's really the only possible explanation. How many times have you tried this recipe?

The manual that comes with it has very good instructions for determining if it's reading accurately, and how to calibrate it if it's not. Perhaps you should try that out.

Regardless, you can make this just fine even with a (quality) thermometer that's reading off. Just raise it back to a lower temperature (perhaps try 10-15 degrees lower) after cooling it down with water.

And now that I've suggested that, I have to ask... is the "candy" ending up darker than you're intending? And lastly, I noticed you said it's "crystallizing", and I'm wondering if that's just a poor choice of words, as it actually shouldn't be forming any crystals, but rather just solidify into a smooth "glass".

Old 06-18-2012, 09:31 PM   #254
thirstyutahn
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Ya its dead on accurate I've tested it very recently and its only 4 months old.

Yeah crystallize probably isn't the best choice of words. It is the perfect color and nice and liquidy but as soon as it cools off after bringing it back up to the 240 temp it turns solid. You can kinda heat it back up like you would honey. I'm wondering if I need to adjust my 2 water addition because when I dump it in it takes a long time to bring it back up to 240. I want to say the temp got down to 170 or so when i pour the 2nd water in. Could it be evaporating too much? Also remember I was doing a half batch and so I split the recipe exactly in half.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:34 PM   #255
thirstyutahn
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Ya know if you ever have had honey solidify it looked exactly like that. It did not look like a solid glass it turned cloudy.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:01 PM   #256
mcbethenstein
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts

I had the same problem. It was liquid when I poured it in the glass, but became solid after it cooled. A quick google search i found an Online candy forum that said two things: 1. I may have evaporated too much water off cause my temps took forever to get to. 2. If you stir as it cools down you align the molecular structure to get in the crystal shape.

The solution was pretty easy. Since my batch was in a quart jar I heated in the microwave with some water on top. As it started to melt I stirred to break up the chunks. After they were all dissolved I continued heating until it boiled for about 30 seconds. I removed from the microwave and let sit on the counter as it cooled, and did not stir again. I think I added a bit much water back, but once it was in the fridge it was nice and syrupy. Then it got used for coffee and ice cream!

Old 06-18-2012, 10:08 PM   #257
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirstyutahn
Ya know if you ever have had honey solidify it looked exactly like that. It did not look like a solid glass it turned cloudy.
Honey DOES crystallize, and sugar solutions can as well, though the rapid candymaking process of heating to a certain point and cooling makes it more like a glass.

More important than the clarity, did it solidify nice and smooth like a cloudy candy apple, or did it crystallize into rough, chunks, or some sort of geometric pattern? Perhaps you can take a picture?

Are you using any ingredients other than sugar, water, and DAP? If you're using a different yeast nutrient, what are the ingredients? Are you heating it on a stovetop on low?

Old 07-03-2012, 04:35 AM   #258
ultravista
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 26

So what are the monks doing, making thier own candi syrup or going with store bought? Most of the Belgian recipes call for candi in one form or another.

Is this addressed in BLAM or elsewhere?

Old 07-03-2012, 04:42 AM   #259
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultravista
So what are the monks doing, making thier own candi syrup or going with store bought? Most of the Belgian recipes call for candi in one form or another.

Is this addressed in BLAM or elsewhere?
I believe it is. And IIRC, they're supposedly just using plain old table (beet) sugar most of the time.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #260
ultravista
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I need 3 pounds of Dark Candi for a Rochefort clone. How many pounds of sugar will I need to make 3 pounds of candi?

Quick Reply