Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > 20 lb of sugar and a jar of yeast nutrient

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #241
Gear101
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Mahogany (300F)
-Mahogany, more brown than red in color. Raisins and figs with some mild bitterness developing. There is a tart sweetness, and a loss of complex caramel flavors. The caramels are replaced by bittersweet toast and burnt sugar characters. It is rich and decadent but not as complex as 290F.
2 Lbs Sugar
1 Cup Water
3 tsp DAP
1 – 3/4 Cup Water

wander what would happen if you mixed a little of that in with EDWORTS apple hooch?

Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2012, 03:06 AM   #242
Mischief_Brewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear101
Mahogany (300F)
-Mahogany, more brown than red in color. Raisins and figs with some mild bitterness developing. There is a tart sweetness, and a loss of complex caramel flavors. The caramels are replaced by bittersweet toast and burnt sugar characters. It is rich and decadent but not as complex as 290F.
2 Lbs Sugar
1 Cup Water
3 tsp DAP
1 – 3/4 Cup Water

wander what would happen if you mixed a little of that in with EDWORTS apple hooch?
I've added 3# to the edworts recipe. It was good, but was more of a backed flavor that was ultimately lost. I still have plans down the line to back sweeten with it.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:52 AM   #243
HItransplant
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoegel View Post

Now for my question. I have seen asked here a few times already is about how fermentable this sugar is after cooking it. Does anyone know how fermentable this stuff really is?
My OG is 1.075
I guess my FG will answer my question in a couple weeks.
yes, that IS the question. Ive asked it once or twice.

You know, Ive heard a lot of self proclaimed scientists on this forum talking about all their fancy equipment. Yet, nobody has actually tested the fermentability of this syrup. Everything else seems rather superfluous, color, taste, etc., if it isnt as fermentable as the real stuff.

Im hoping to try something after my next batch is bottled with some of the yeast slurry.. maybe Ill have some answers. Ill be sure to share if I do.

If anyone else has any info, im sure the two of us arent the only ones that would be interested.

cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
It's a gentle recipe, so your first time will be enjoyable and memorable. :D

Old 05-26-2012, 03:26 AM   #244
Thedagem
Recipes 

Has anyone tested the ferment ability of these different sugars?

Old 06-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #245
pfalor
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the recipe and tips. I had to post a pic because I'm pretty pleased with the color of my dark amber 290 syrup!

darkamber.jpg  
Old 06-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #246
jkoegel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

As to the fermentability questions. I have been wondering myself.
Patiently waiting for this to ferment out.

The batch I worked up 8 weeks ago:
5lbs white sugar+5tsplemon juice+2tsp DAP.
I aimed really low on the DAP because I took the syrup all the way up to 320. (the low range of where sugar will caramelize on its own without anything else added to it.)
I ended up with a very flavorful caramel the color of coca-cola. No burnt flavors, but more like a sweet dark molasses/toasted marshmallow taste.
Mixed this into my carboy with 5 gallons of fresh UV treated cider.
OG 1.080
FG 1.005
Yeast was Lalvin 71b-1122.
Every other cider I have made finished well below 1.000 using combinations of white/brown sugar. So there is definitely some unfermentables in there.
It tastes delicious right out of the carboy. I always drink my hydrometer samples.

I am waiting to get my hands on some fresh cider to bottle this stuff. Going to split it 50/50 then pasteruize after carbonating. Target abv around 6-7.
The color is beautiful, will post pics this weekend.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:43 AM   #247
HItransplant
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoegel
As to the fermentability questions. I have been wondering myself.
Patiently waiting for this to ferment out.

The batch I worked up 8 weeks ago:
5lbs white sugar+5tsplemon juice+2tsp DAP.
I aimed really low on the DAP because I took the syrup all the way up to 320. (the low range of where sugar will caramelize on its own without anything else added to it.)
I ended up with a very flavorful caramel the color of coca-cola. No burnt flavors, but more like a sweet dark molasses/toasted marshmallow taste.
Mixed this into my carboy with 5 gallons of fresh UV treated cider.
OG 1.080
FG 1.005
Yeast was Lalvin 71b-1122.
Every other cider I have made finished well below 1.000 using combinations of white/brown sugar. So there is definitely some unfermentables in there.
It tastes delicious right out of the carboy. I always drink my hydrometer samples.

I am waiting to get my hands on some fresh cider to bottle this stuff. Going to split it 50/50 then pasteruize after carbonating. Target abv around 6-7.
The color is beautiful, will post pics this weekend.
Cool! I'd be curious to see how low your recipe would finish if you used some D2 instead of homemade candi syrup...

Sounds like it is at least less fermentable than dextrose.

That cider sounds delicious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
It's a gentle recipe, so your first time will be enjoyable and memorable. :D

Old 06-18-2012, 04:18 AM   #248
thirstyutahn
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I couldn't for the life of me get this stuff to stay in liquid form. I followed the directions to a T and absolutely couldn't get it to stay liquid. As soon as it cooled it was a hard crystallized mess. I finally made one batch and kept it hot and then dumped it into my kettle near the end of the boil, that worked fine and it's very tasty. I gave up after about 4 failed attempts. I tried to find an answer in this thread but couldn't.

Any tricks?

Old 06-18-2012, 04:55 AM   #249
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1713 Times on 1601 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirstyutahn
I couldn't for the life of me get this stuff to stay in liquid form. I followed the directions to a T and absolutely couldn't get it to stay liquid. As soon as it cooled it was a hard crystallized mess. I finally made one batch and kept it hot and then dumped it into my kettle near the end of the boil, that worked fine and it's very tasty. I gave up after about 4 failed attempts. I tried to find an answer in this thread but couldn't.

Any tricks?
Are you adding water after the fact to bring the temperature back down after the fact? It's not enough to simply let it cool down by itself, it needs to be done by adding more water. After cooling it down with water, it needs to be brought back up to 240° and *no higher*.

If you HAVE followed the instructions properly and still end up with hard candy, your thermometer is wrong.

It solidifies into hard candy when brought to a certain temperature (and cooled). As the solution is boiled, the boiling temp increases BECAUSE the water evaporates, which means that the concentration of the solution is increasing. As such, the highest temperature reached before cooling is an indicator of the water content, which is why making syrups or candy is all about temperature... once the water content of the solution is reduced to a certain point, it will harden at room temperature. This is why it needs to be cooled down with water, so that water is added back into the solution, and the final concentration is tightly controlled by letting it heat back up to 240°.

So if you followed the instructions properly, either your thermometer is off by a fair bit, or you're making some sort of measurement error. Or just have the wrong temperature in mind. Either way, chemistry dictates that you're letting the temp get too high. It's not even a case of "most likely" - without adding further ingredients, this is the ONLY way it will solidify when cooled.

Although even if you only have hard candy to work with, it can still be added to the boil or fermentor (though it's harder to measure out only a specific portion).

Old 06-18-2012, 02:00 PM   #250
timdsmith72
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It also helps keep it from turning into hard candy if you don't heat it all the way up to 240 at the last. I only heated mine up to around 225-230 and it didn't crystallize at all. My brew day even got bumped out a week so it sat on the counter for a full week before using it. (sealed up, of course.)

Quick Reply