Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > 20 lb of sugar and a jar of yeast nutrient

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #221
coypoo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I might give this a go as in ~10 days I'm making a dubbel

Rowdy Reptile Brewing
http://rowdyreptilebrewing.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 09:52 PM   #222
ruralbrew
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I made a 4# batch of this a while ago to use in a cider. I was going for the #5 recipe, but it ended up looking more like the mahogany than the dark amber. I replaced a cup and a half of the white sugar with a cup and a half of lactose. By the time I got to 280 degrees I was starting to get some burnt odors, so I added the first addition of water then. After I added the water it kept foaming up on me so I had to stir constantly. By the time I got back to 260 degrees the syrup was getting pretty dark and I was tired of stirring so I added the second water addition and called it good.
The syrup had a very complex flavor, fig, dark rum, a little burnt but still sweet. It was good. I think I will use some lactose next time too, but limit the temperature to somewhere in the 260 - 270 degree range, depending on how it looks and smells.
It will be interesting to see how the cider turns out, I also steeped some Special B and boiled it down to a syrup and added it and fermented with a Belgian Ale yeast and let the temperature rise into the high 70's. It is bulk aging, this one might take a while to come around.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:18 AM   #223
coypoo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Made a batch today for a dubbel on the 17th. The photo has samples from the 2 290* temp peaks. I was using a less than trusty thermometer and got a less than ideal color on the first part. But the second one darkened nicely. I am somewhat concerned that I'm not picking up a ton of dark fruit flavors but that is likely a result of the colors. It wasnt too difficult though and I can't wait to try it

image-3674891833.jpg  

Rowdy Reptile Brewing

Old 01-24-2012, 01:21 AM   #224
Lyikos
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

At some point when I make a barleywine I will attempt to make 290, but cut the DAP and use wort made with 100% acid malt, probably concentrated between 1.03 to 04. That should give acidity, nitrogen, and plus trace amounts of more complex sugars, maybe giving a little more complexity. Thoughts?

Old 01-24-2012, 01:32 AM   #225
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyikos View Post
At some point when I make a barleywine I will attempt to make 290, but cut the DAP and use wort made with 100% acid malt, probably concentrated between 1.03 to 04. That should give acidity, nitrogen, and plus trace amounts of more complex sugars, maybe giving a little more complexity. Thoughts?
I have been advocating for a while that you will never reproduce the right flavors using refined white sugar no matter what additions you make. (I know several disagree with me.) You need a sugar source that includes heavy amounts of maltose, like wort. I have experimented with reducing wort and I feel like the flavor is 99% there. I haven't tried fermenting it yet to see if it is equally as fermentable as D or D2 but I intend to in the near future. Personally I do not think you need the acid malt, just regular two row.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:53 AM   #226
Lyikos
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I should clarify I'm planning to replace the water with acid wort, and still use the sugar since the goal is to dry out a big brew. And I'd probably use brown sugar, there are some decent local brands.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:20 AM   #227
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

@ Lyikos and RAM: I've given up completely on using DAP in my syrups. Certain types of Maillard reactions occur more readily at higher pH values. Using an acidified wort is probably working in the wrong direction. I've found the best flavors to come from the 8-10pH range. I've not had much luck using wort or maltose in my syrups though, so maybe RAM is on to something I haven't been able to crack yet.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 01-24-2012, 05:52 AM   #228
coypoo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Wouldn't the acid just promote the generation of invert sugar instead of maillard reactions?

Rowdy Reptile Brewing

Old 01-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #229
Lyikos
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I actually am looking for more inversion that flavor. But that's good to know for future recipes.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #230
jkoegel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I made a batch last night for my cider.
5lb of plain granulated sugar
2lb light brown
3 1/2 cups of water
5tbsp lemon juice (acid to aid inversion)
Took the mix slowly up to 280, color was hard to judge because I started with 2lb of light brown sugar but It resulted in a nice medium amber with some nutty toasted marshmallow tones.
Instead of cooling it by adding water I placed the pot in my sink full of cold water to drop the temp below 200 then added 1/2 gal of cider to dilute it to a more pourable consistency. I did not want to cook and set any of the pectin in the cider and make clearing it later a PITA.

Now for my question. I have seen asked here a few times already is about how fermentable this sugar is after cooking it. Does anyone know how fermentable this stuff really is?
My OG is 1.075
I guess my FG will answer my question in a couple weeks.

Quick Reply