The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > 20 lb of sugar and a jar of yeast nutrient

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2011, 11:24 PM   #181
TANSTAAFB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I kept reading about spiting and spluttering super heated sugar as folks added the water so a was scared to use a small pot. Used my 3 gallon stainless kettle...what a PITA!!! I ended up having to put a 4-sided cheese grater in the pot to hang my thermometer off of just to get readings

Make sure it is big enough to hold your volume but small enough to hang your thermometer off of!!!

Bottled: Grizzly Saison, Grizzly Brett, Session Pale, Colorado Cream Ale, Cranberry Apfelwein
Primary: -37* Blue Balls Baltic Porter, Bad Dog Brown, Bohemian Pilsner
Secondary: Rarely!!!
Future: Cognitive Dissonance Cascadian Dark Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2011, 06:43 PM   #182
Yalpe
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Can anyone be more specific on how they find DAP? I can't find this anywhere.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:09 PM   #183
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yalpe View Post
Can anyone be more specific on how they find DAP? I can't find this anywhere.
It is available at local home brew stores if that is what you are asking. If you can't get it locally I'd ask them to get it in before doing mail order where shipping will be more than the product.

http://www.beer-brewing-wine-making....roductid=17956

Old 03-29-2011, 09:00 PM   #184
Crustovsky
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Actually I'm curious to know if anyone has ever used this stuff in place of pure DAP: http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_productd...m?ProductID=15

My understanding is that this stuff is essentially DAP + other stuff so I'm assuming it would work although more would be required. If anyone has any experience with it and can let me know what their experience was like I'd be pleased to hear about it.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:48 PM   #185
mezzoblue
Recipes 

You can order DAP online from numerous places, which is the route I went. I later discovered my LHBS actually did carry it, labelled as "yeast energizer" and nothing else. So even if you don't see it on shelves, you should ask for it by name.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:57 PM   #186
Crustovsky
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Eh, the issue is that most of the stores around here have phased out pure DAP in favour of the wyeast nutrient I linked to above. The two stores I usually go to for supplies both had staff who were fully aware of what it was, so I trust that they don't have it somewhere just labelled as a yeast energizer or nutrient. Finally got my hands on some today (100g worth, whoohoo) at the only group of stores who still stock the stuff in the city (the other damn side of the city sadly) though, so hooray.

Armed with 100g of DAP, 4kg of sugar, and some Belgian Ardennes yeast (wyeast strain 3522) it's time to brew various delicious beers.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:01 PM   #187
Centexbear
Recipes 

you can buy it online too. i know austin homebrew carries it.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:40 AM   #188
Yalpe
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I tried sugar #4 @ 290F last night. I finally found DAP at a local brew shop. Ordering online from the US for small items is not worth it in Canada. Anyways.

The sugar came out fine (I think). The taste is good as in its not bitter. The texture reminds me of maple syrup (is that how its supposed to be?). One thing I don't understand though is that the color looks a lot more like the light amber sugar instead of dark amber (looks like an APA). Why is that? Did I pour the water too fast? I clearly hit 290F on the thermometer (candy). I'll try again @ 295 and see how that goes.

I re-read the thread and a lot of you seemed to not bring the solution back to 240F, which is what I did. This morning it was not crystalized. I hope it will stay like this.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:23 PM   #189
Crustovsky
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Keep in mind altitude will affect what temperatures you need to hit to the tune of about 1C/2F per 300m/1000 feet (decreasing the higher you are, increasing the lower you are). Don't know what Snick's altitude was for the adjustment from his temperatures but given that Montreal's highest elevation is only 233m while it's lowest is 6m I'd say it's safe to say you might want to add a few more degrees to your target temperature. Perhaps try again with a target temperature of 300F and see what you get out of it.

There's also the issue of the PH having effect on just how much the sugar is going to darken; I'd imagine differences in water might result in a more acidic solution and thus the mixture not getting as dark. I wouldn't worry about that until you've done more experimenting with temperatures first though.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:34 AM   #190
elucify
Recipes 

I made this sugar a while ago, and then used it to make a dubbel that came out very well.

When I made it, I cycled between 240 and 290 four or five times. Each time it got darker, until by the last time it was the color of cola. I'm guessing each time you cycle it, you produce more melanoidins. I can't remember whether I added more DAP in the middle or not. The ammonia smell was gone by the last couple of cycles.

Quick Reply