Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > 20 lb of sugar and a jar of yeast nutrient

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #171
Nateo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchanceN View Post
Caramelization of sucrose occurs at 320F as I understand it, so I didn't caramelize right?
Caramelization is one of the pathways that Maillard reactions take, so in the presence of DAP the sugar will caramelize at a much lower temperature, among other reactions.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2011, 03:31 AM   #172
TANSTAAFB
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Just got through making sugar #5...wow that took a while!!! But it is perfect. Dark, roasty, rummy, dark fruit, dark chocolate...this is going to be awesome in chemnitz's Vespers Abbey Dubbel

Thank you to everyone who made contributions, especially SnickASaurusRex and Nateo. I will definitely be doing more experimentation with this, especially fermentability tests and direct comparisons with DarkCandi products.

This is why I love HBT

Bottled: Grizzly Saison, Grizzly Brett, Session Pale, Colorado Cream Ale, Cranberry Apfelwein
Primary: -37* Blue Balls Baltic Porter, Bad Dog Brown, Bohemian Pilsner
Secondary: Rarely!!!
Future: Cognitive Dissonance Cascadian Dark Ale

Old 03-18-2011, 04:46 AM   #173
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Sugar #5 makes a really good dubbel. I've had great success with that.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 03-18-2011, 08:16 PM   #174
nchapelle
Recipes 

subbed

Old 03-18-2011, 08:34 PM   #175
whclay
Recipes 

I am Brewing Sunday. Can someone take a look at my recipe and give any advice? New to this.

Malt
6.6lb Light LME
1 lb Golden DME
Spec Grains
1lb Caramel 40L
8oz. Victory

60 min boil. 2 gal. for 5 gal batch

60min 1.5oz Centannial whole 11.6
60min 2 oz cascade pellet 5.0
30 min 1 oz centennial whole 11.6
15 min centennial whole 11.6
5 min willamette pellet 4.6
dry hop 7 days 1 oz centennial whole 11.6
secondary 14 to 21 days

nottingham yeast

this is an IPA Kit that I just took some of the parts of just the grains and malts, ignored some of them (most of the hops) and added some to make an APA. according to my calc this should come out to 63.2 IBU 6 SRM 5.9% ABV OG - 1.059 FG - 1.015.
My question is will the combination of ingredients and the schedule produce a nice hoppy ale that is still drinkable. What I am going for here is like a 2 hearted ale with a bit more character. Only other ingred. I have that I could play with are some Columbus Hop pellets and some more cascade hop pellets. any advise would be welcome

Old 03-18-2011, 08:46 PM   #176
rjwhite41
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Looks fine for an IPA but this isn't the best thread to be posting that. Post in the recipe/ingredients section and you'll get more feedback.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:18 AM   #177
mezzoblue
Recipes 

Without claiming to know a thing about the science behind it, I made a few test batches of syrup this past week before brewing a Dubbel. Nothing to report about the beer itself yet since it's still in the fermenter, but for what it's worth here's what I discovered about the syrup.

I started with Syrup #4, the 290F version, and made three batches with different sugars: raw organic cane sugar, refined white cane sugar, and dextrose. Cane sugar was the only one worth talking about, the other two turned out terribly. I then made a fourth batch without DAP, to see how pure caramelized sugar stood up to the rest. It was flat and one-dimensional, not something I'd put in my beer.

The 290F cane sugar batch was incredible. Smelled great when cooking, like caramelized sugar and toast. The final result is a smooth, richly dark syrup that days later remains crystal-free. It tastes incredibly complex. Rich, dark fruits like plum and cherry. A bit toasty (though the lighter stages tasted more so), with hints of chocolate and rum.

But that said, there's a slight hint of burnt bitterness that I'm not as fond of at 290F. I suspect it's just a shade too hot. A very quick change occurs between 285F and 290F, the syrup goes noticeably darker in a hurry and bubbles far more furiously. For me anyway, I think the magic number is 285F, after that point the caramelization seems to take off and butt up against the burnt end of the register.

What's clear to me after all this is that the nitrogen provided by the DAP is absolutely critical to facilitating the maillard reaction and creating such a rich complex syrup. Next time I'll keep the temperature a bit lower, but I had no problems brewing with the 290F syrup as it was, the complexity I was looking for was there in spades.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:41 AM   #178
TANSTAAFB
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 12

mezzoblue, you put many of my own thoughts when making #5 into succinct and eloquent words. I cannot wait to taste my dubbel!

Here's hoping both of our brews are the best we have ever made

Bottled: Grizzly Saison, Grizzly Brett, Session Pale, Colorado Cream Ale, Cranberry Apfelwein
Primary: -37* Blue Balls Baltic Porter, Bad Dog Brown, Bohemian Pilsner
Secondary: Rarely!!!
Future: Cognitive Dissonance Cascadian Dark Ale

Old 03-28-2011, 04:25 PM   #179
Beernewb
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Good pot?

what kind of pot should I use to try and pull this off? I have a stainless steel 8qt pot from IKEA, but it specifically states not to coo it too bast or it wil warp. I only want to make 1/2 batches, so i asume 8 qt is good, just not sure if I need a specific type of pot for more efficient heating and quick cooling.
thanks.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:29 PM   #180
mezzoblue
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beernewb
what kind of pot should I use to try and pull this off? I have a stainless steel 8qt pot from IKEA, but it specifically states not to coo it too bast or it wil warp. I only want to make 1/2 batches, so i asume 8 qt is good, just not sure if I need a specific type of pot for more efficient heating and quick cooling.
thanks.
I only made a half batch myself, and I think the cast iron pot I used (best choice for temperature changes) was only a 1 quart. You want to use a smaller pot that allows a deeper volume in order to get a proper reading from your candy thermometer.

Quick Reply