New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > 20 lb of sugar and a jar of yeast nutrient

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011, 02:21 AM   #161
KYB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

So apparently the malliard reaction needs nitrogen, and the DAP chemically reacts producing nitrogen for the mallaird reaction. Would it be plausible to inject nitrogen gas into the solution and skip the DAP? Maybe that's what dark candi does, or maybe I just have no idea what's going on chemically, which is highly likely.

Edit: Nevermind, this is far more complex than I thought. I need to learn some chemistry. I only touched in it in school. This may be helpful to some.
http://class.fst.ohio-state.edu/fst605/605p/Maillard.pdf

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 04:47 AM   #162
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

ODaniel: I've made Snick's syrup #5 and it's pretty good, but nowhere near D2. I've come a bit closer, if you're interested.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/candi-syrup-experiment-trying-clone-d2-220882/index6.html

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 02-16-2011, 05:06 AM   #163
KYB
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Yea I was just trying to figure all this out. I want to make some tomorrow but I can't get DAP around here, and don't want to pay $7 shipping for something tiny costing a few bucks. The grocery didn't have ammonium carbonate either (leavening).

I'm not sure if this has been brought up yet, but I found this bit of info:

�� pH influences the ratio of products formed
�� the rate of color formation can be reduced by decreasing
the pH

Not sure if it's helpful or not, but seemed interesting.

Also, if you don't beat me too it (although feel free, I'm lazy), I'd like to try one recipe, and change the sugar each time but keep everything else the same. I want to see if there is a different in taste between Dextrose/Glucose/Corn Sugar, Cane Sugar, and Beet Sugar (both sucrose). Why the initial chemical makeup is the same between cane and beet sugar, I have read multiple times they react different in cooking. If I do try anything I'll post in your thread.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:59 PM   #164
Nateo
Recipes 

ODaniel, thanks for the link! I'm going to try varying the pH in my sugar solutions to see how it changes the finished product. FYI in my experiments without any pH adjustments, the pH was at or under 4 on all the syrups.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

Old 02-17-2011, 05:07 PM   #165
Crustovsky
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If I'm reading ODaniel's link correctly wouldn't something as simple as milk be a reasonable source of the amino acids and nitrogen for a Maillard reaction to occur? I'd probably make my chem teachers from back in high school cry asking that but as far as I can tell it meets the requirements and is completely reasonable to think it might be used to create a syrup. If someone with a better understanding of the chemistry behind this would explain why I'm an idiot I'd appreciate it.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:35 AM   #166
Nateo
Recipes 

Crusty: That's really interesting, and I think I'll try that this weekend. I'll let you know then if it's really dumb or not.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:47 AM   #167
Steelers77
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Just a little feedback for those who have not tried this recipe. It works so well, I've made about 20lb of candy sugar using this thread and I have been pleased every time. Just try it!

Get your hops, 85 varieties starting at $.75/oz!

Accuflex Bev Seal Ultra in stock now!

Farmhousebrewingsupply.com

http://farmhousebrewingsupply.com

https://www.facebook.com/Farmhousebrewingsupply

Old 02-18-2011, 05:19 AM   #168
orangehero
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 100

More.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:10 AM   #169
Crustovsky
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I'm curious; has anyone found any substitute for the yeast nutrient suggested in the original post?

Old 03-08-2011, 02:00 AM   #170
RchanceN
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I got bored writing a mid-term paper tonight, poured a Highland Seven Sisters, and decided to experiment. I did a triple stage 290F syrup just to see what would happen and I got one that is darker, more complex, some toffee, darker fruit, and tasting than my first attempt of a double stage 290F. Maybe not surprising...

After the third water addition, it bubbled (it doesn't really foam, but a boil over with DME comes to mind) A LOT more and reached the top of the pot before I took it off the burner. Anyone know why this happened?

Caramelization of sucrose occurs at 320F as I understand it, so I didn't caramelize right?

Quick Reply