2 Row Pale Ale (UK) vs Maris Otter vs Pearl vs European Pilsen vs 2 Row US ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joelireland

Reaction score
I am relatively new to all grain brewing (and loving it) but as I start looking at more and more recipes for inspiration, I have become slightly muddled with regards to the different grain types.

As far as I understand, Maris Otter is VERY similar to Pearl Malt (which I have available - Muntons 2 Row) and extremely difficult to tell the difference - assuming that they are both 2 row UK styles (i.e. a bit more biscuity/malty than many). I understand as well that if I don't have any 2Row US available then I can easily substitute this for a good pilsen malt or even the Pearl Malt.

I live in Norway so not all grain types are readily available.

The confusion is coming because many recipes call for certain percentages of Maris Otter and certain percentages of 2 Row Pale (UK). Can I just use the 2 Row Pale in place of the MO malt and thus if a recipe calls for say 2kg of MO malt and 2kg of 2 Row Pale (UK) malt then just use 4kg of 2 Row Pale Malt?

I know this question is a bit weird but the more I read, the more that it seems as though you can easily substitute many of these malts for each other without any significant difference. The biggest difference as far as I read is the Maris Otter gives a more malty, toast/biscuit flavour compared with many of the other Pale Malts and even Pilsen Malts.

Anyway, any of your opinions would be appreciated and I don't mean to open a minefield here.

Here's the thing about base grains: If you are really in a pinch you can substitute almost anything for anything. It will get you beer. That said, obviously there are different flavors with different grains so if you sub one for the other it may not turn out the way you want it to, especially if you are trying to replicate a certain beer or style. Use what is readily available for you and then if you don't like the results you may have to do some searching.

Thanks for that. I sort of got that impression that I could substitute if I am unable to get the exact mix of base grains, but it's always good to hear that from experienced brewers.

Back