Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > 2-row diastatic power

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2007, 04:08 PM   #1
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default 2-row diastatic power

I have wondered if using 2-row with a 20-25% max of rice would be doable???? Does 2-row have enough diastatic power to convert the rice given that the rice has been precooked and gelatinized. Beersmith shows the difference between 2-row and 6-row as 140 and 150. That is not that much difference seeing as how pilsner is 110. I am just wondering since I need to use up some 2-row, and I haven't ran into any recipes yet using only 2-row with adjuncts. I am making a closer to BMC style for some of my pickier friends that have said they tried a brewed beer they liked before, but they haven't liked any of mine so far. I like hoppy-big-beers, but have recently been given the equipment to start lagers (yea!!!!!).

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2007, 04:43 PM   #2
Llarian
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

You should be fine for 20-25%.

-D

Old 10-01-2007, 05:11 PM   #3
chillHayze

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Actual conversion power depends on the specific crop, your mash schedule, mixing techniques, and a host of other variables. On a whole, assuming basic homebrewing mash procedures and grain, you are ok.

Translation: RDWHAHB

Old 10-01-2007, 08:27 PM   #4
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

According to Dave Miller's book ~20% is about the top end for two row, ~40% for 6 row, if you are really really good. He suggests more like 10% and 20% respectively for starters.

I have only tried it once, chillHayze sounds like he has done it several times. Try it!

EDIT:Went looking for Dave Millers Homebrewing book on Amazon, didn't find it. My local library has a copy. I think of Papazian as esential, but the Miller I am thinking of is one step up, how to actually do a beta-glucan rest rather than Charlie saying "relax and have a homebrew".

Last edited by Poindexter; 10-01-2007 at 11:11 PM.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:28 PM   #5
chillHayze

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter
According to Dave Miller's book ~20% is about the top end for two row, ~40% for 6 row, if you are really really good. He suggests more like 10% and 20% respectively for starters.

I have only tried it once, chillHayze sounds like he has done it several times. Try it!

EDIT:Went looking for Dave Millers Homebrewing book on Amazon, didn't find it. My local library has a copy. I think of Papazian as esential, but the Miller I am thinking of is one step up, how to actually do a beta-glucan rest rather than Charlie saying "relax and have a homebrew".

Yes I have Millers book, it is very informative and has more actual data and facts. Not to dog on Charlie, RDWHAHB is still a VERY important part of it. If you dont have that aspect, you might as well work for Budweiser.

wortmonger: I just thought of something: If you are worried about conversion then try a longer mash (like 90) min, and/or get amylase enzyme to help with the mash.

ldudek Likes This 
Old 10-02-2007, 04:43 PM   #6
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I am actually planning on a protein rest at 122 for 30 min and an infusion to get to 152 for 75 min. Then I was going to pull a thin (liquid-only) decoction after recirculating till clear, and boil it for 30 min adding it back to the mash for mash-out. So you think I need more like 90 min huh, might have to extend that saccharification rest a bit then. I am looking for as much attenuation as possible for this little 1.045 beer. I have a huge starter of WLP001 California yeast I plan to pitch at 65 for 3 weeks under pressure (old technique I just stumbled on and want to try after reading http://www.hbd.org/hbd/archive/3986.html#3986-3), then crash cool for a couple of days and counter pressure transfer to my serving keg to condition for 2 more weeks. That's the plan anyways. I wish I knew how to blend post ferment I could get an entire 1/2 bbl keg for my troubles of the extra long brew session. I mean it's not like they are going to notice watered down beer right???? LOL

I am doing this beer for two reasons, 1) my friends don't like any of the styles I brew but would love something tasteless like this, and 2) I have a 50# bag of rice I need to get rid of and I can only eat so much rice.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 10-02-2007, 06:08 PM   #7
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I was with you right up to the end of the 75 minute rest at 152°F.

Then I was lost until you got to looking for max attenuation on a 45 OG.

Whatever chillHayze sugegsts, try that. I expect it will be a learing experience with a drinkable final, so RDWHAHB.

Quick Reply