Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > 2 Oatmeal Stout ?'s

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2007, 03:32 PM   #1
Kayos
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default 2 Oatmeal Stout ?'s

1. I have been looking around for an oatmeal stout recipe. Is it correct to say that just because oatmeal is an ingredient in a stout recipe that it changes into that catagory? Or are there additional flavors/ABV/.......that make it into a true "oatmeal stout"?

2. Is flaked oatmeal from HBS the same as something I would buy in the store (I know not instant or quick oats...talking about steel cut or the traditional "Quaker type).

I am looking at Flanagan's house stout recipe and am wondering if I could add some oats and/or dark crystal to it.

Last edited by Kayos; 10-23-2007 at 05:42 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2007, 03:39 PM   #2
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Oatmeal stouts tend to be a bit sweeter than say a dry stout, but I'm no expert in this. I use the "quick" oats in a partial mash for my recipe (check the drop down under my screen name) and that works really well for the creamy mouth feel. I know some people like to cook their oats prior to adding them to the mash. This is to allow more of the starches to be converted to fermentable sugar.

--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Old 10-23-2007, 03:47 PM   #3
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

flaked oats=rolled oats These are the "quick oats" that come in the cylinder from Quaker (the ingredients say "rolled oats"). These have been pregelatinized and do not need to be cooked before mashing. The whole oats (steel cut) need to be cut before mashing.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:51 PM   #4
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

This is the recipe that I am going to be doing on Nov 3rd. It is based off of Jamils recipe that was posted on The Brewing Network Forum. I will be mashing at 154-155 and using WLP002.
oatmeal-stout.jpg

Quick Reply