New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > 18th century recipes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2007, 01:05 PM   #1
jelsas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 18th century recipes?

Anyone out there have experience trying to recreate beers (or meads or any other alcoholic beverage) from the 18th century? My father-in-law is into re-enactments/rendezvous and asked if I could brew up something for him to share with his buddies.

I found this book: "Libations of the Eighteenth Century: A Concise Manual for the Brewing of Authentic Beverages from the Colonial Era of America, and of Times Past"
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1581126565
that seems to be pretty much what I'm looking for. Anyone read it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2007, 01:40 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

I made the "Poor Richard's Ale" last year (Ben Franklin Tercentenary). That was an attempt to re-construct a tavern ale of that era.

A few people have tried the "Valley Forge" molasses beer. I hear it's bad, very bad.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-28-2007, 03:32 PM   #3
jelsas
Recipes 

So, how'd the Poor Richard's Ale turn out? would you recommend trying this extract recipe:
http://www.thebrewsite.com/2006/01/23/poor_richards_extract.php

Old 04-28-2007, 04:03 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

I did the original version and really liked it. 16 local craft brewers also made it and there was a tasting in Portland. I'll probably make another batch in the fall.

I wouldn't try the extract version. The corn needs to be mashed and changing biscuit to C20L would make a big difference in the final flavor. Plus, with 5 pounds of specialty grains why not do AG? If your LHBS carries alpha enzyme, you could try extract, but I would still use biscuit.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-28-2007, 04:10 PM   #5
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I had a poor richard's ale from a well-respected Chicago brewery and it was delicious. nice and malty. However, I'm sure it was brewed more with an eye toward tastiness rather than authenticity. But, on the other hand, I'm sure the same was true 300 years ago. But, of course, on the third hand, tastes have changed, whereas, on the fourth hand, who the heck has four hands?

Old 04-28-2007, 11:45 PM   #6
jelsas
Recipes 

Thanks for the input. I think this recipe might be a good excuse for me to try a mini-mash

Last edited by jelsas; 04-29-2007 at 12:20 AM.

Quick Reply