Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > 1792 porter recipe discovery.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2011, 11:22 PM   #11
hampshirebrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

One further thought on hop intensity.

I model hops at 4% alpha acids/ounce but for the initial boil hops I do use higher alpha hops to reduce hop content of the brew (1 oz Warrior = 4 oz kent goldings for example)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2013, 04:57 AM   #12
grant-robison
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampshirebrewer View Post
1/4 lb (4 oz) licorice root sounds like a lot. 1-2 oz should be plenty but the sweetness of the licorice root could offset the bitterness of the essentia bina

The linseed part sounds grim. I wonder if this is one of those adulterated porters that led to laws banning such stuff from beer (I've also wondered if this kind of recipe inspired Papazian's musings on the tumultuous porter recipe)
I'm finally brewing this tomorrow!!! I found the recipe and printed it off again, and noticed that it's not 1/4lb (4oz) of Licorice root, it's 1/4oz. So... heres how it's gonna go down:

I'm brewing 3gallons (half of the recipe). I'm mashing
5.5lbs Maris Otter
Making "Colour" in the boil kettle with dark brown sugar
and running wort into it.
adding .5oz EKG, .5 Fuggles (Leaf) as a FWH
@60:
1/8oz Licorice Root
1.5oz Grated Ginger
1/4oz "Capsicum" (Cayenne Pepper)
2oz or more essentia bina

@30:
.5oz EKG & Fuggles
Wyeast 1028 London Ale

Thinking about Oak in the secondary?
And thinking about toasted oats, and wheat malt, and thinking that if the color isnt right, i have some roasted barley and patent around.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:15 PM   #13
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

We've been down this sort of road on a couple of different occasions here on HBT. Here are some links which you may find interesting:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/port...y-today-73308/
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/hist...ecipes-199576/

Some important things to note:

Porter in the late C18 was a "stock" ale, meaning it was left to mature for quite a while in the wood. That imparts a distinctive flavor profile; ask anyone who's brewed with Brettanomyces. The spices and other additions not hops, malt, and sugar are, in my opinion as a brewing historian, meant to mimic the flavor of "stock" porter in a beer which can be consumed without expensive aging. There is another school of thought, that they are to adjust brewing liquor. At any rate, many of the spices and chemicals are dangerous, because some are poisonous. Best to avoid them.

"Essentia bina" is essentially molasses. You can make your own, as you've found here on HBT, but it's a PITA for something which to my palate anyway differs so subtly from regular ol' molasses. When I do this I use molasses and call it a day. Treacle, however, is a distinctive thing with a distinctive flavor. I'd not substitute anything else for it.

Keep in mind 4 ounces of hops, or 1/4 pound, is not that much for six gallons, especially operating under the assumption that 1790s hops were low alpha and didn't keep well. It's safe to conclude that by the time hops made it from hop yard to kettle, the AA % was quite low. Don't be afraid to use the stated hops schedule; just use low (sub 5%) AA hops.

You can make "colour" by running wort into the kettle and boiling it down. This is a common historical method.

The color won't be "right", at least as you expect modern Porter to resemble. See the above-referenced threads. Don't futz with it; keep it as true as possible to the original recipe and take a trip back in time.

Good luck, and welcome to the historical brewing obsession!

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 09-24-2013, 11:56 PM   #14
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Two things. First, given that this is a porter recipe from the late 18th C, the malt they used would have been a diastatic brown malt. That is, a lightly roasted malt (kilned over straw/fern/wood) that would be used for 100% (or so) of the grist and would produce a sufficiently black colored beer. Given that this recipe is for a home-brew type of beer, maybe they wouldn't have used brown malt, but the commercial brewers certainly did.

Here is a look at making a period, diastatic brown malt.

http://perfectpint.blogspot.com/2012...alt-again.html

Also, from my experiences tasting and making essentia bina, the flavor is quite a bit different than molasses. Mainly in that it has a bitter-chocolate-burnt flavor from setting the sugar aflame.

Good luck with the brew.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:51 AM   #15
hampshirebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

g-r,

I hope your brew went well today. I found a recipe for 1909 oat malt stout that includes linseed (surprised me anyway) that includes the tip that it's flaxseed. And my doctor tells me to consume more flaxseed. So I shall later this fall.

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2...9-maclays.html

I've done a few of these recipes and they are quite good.

A handy recipe finder for lets brew wednesday is here:

http://www.unholymess.com/blog/lets-brew

Bottled: Amarillo smash Bitter, 1859 Export India Porter
Bubbling: Dandelion Rhubarb Mead; Cask Vienna Drifter Ale; Elderberry Mead; Peated Porter
On Deck: Raven Haired Mild; Hopfather DIPA

Quick Reply