Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > 12-12-12 Wee Heavy Recipe Formulation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2011, 02:39 AM   #41
MDVDuber
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

The Recipe is still in progress. If all H&ll breaks loose and your batch is a failure - you are forgiven - and keep your eyes open for the #-#-# batch for next year to try again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2011, 03:13 AM   #42
BenS
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromwell
I'd like to join in on this, but I'm a nub and don't really know how it works. A year from now those of us who are still around, and still have some of this left can exchange? What if mine sucks because I'm pretty new? What if I say I want to do it, but a year from now I'm moved into a small apartment and can't store the beer?
Also, is it ok to wait a couple of months to do this, when the ambient temperatures will be lower so I can ferment down around 60, since I don't have a beer fridge?
And our recipes can be slightly different? Like, I'd prefer Golden Promise to Maris Otter?
That all sounds fine. RDWHAHB.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:02 AM   #43
statseeker
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenS View Post
That all sounds fine. RDWHAHB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromwell View Post
I'd like to join in on this, but I'm a nub and don't really know how it works. A year from now those of us who are still around, and still have some of this left can exchange? What if mine sucks because I'm pretty new? What if I say I want to do it, but a year from now I'm moved into a small apartment and can't store the beer?
Also, is it ok to wait a couple of months to do this, when the ambient temperatures will be lower so I can ferment down around 60, since I don't have a beer fridge?
And our recipes can be slightly different? Like, I'd prefer Golden Promise to Maris Otter?
We need to agree on a base and so far MO is winning. That much HAS to be agreed upon. The rest, there's wiggle room but the essense of the recipe and process has to be in stone. If we want total agreement, we wont find it most likely. I would say put it up to a vote, but I have a feeling MO would still win.

As far as what happens if stuff hits the fan? I would say ferment at ambient temperature. I have a feeling the brewers of old didnt have refrigeration to keep their beer at the perfect temperature. They may have had cellaring, but that was a different day. Plus it's gonna be aging for over a year. I wouldnt keep my fermenting fridge tied up for a year or more with one beer. Keep it in the coolest closet in your place and ignore it. RDWHAHB

For new brewers, especially new all-grain brewers: Check out my blog The New Brewer Chronicals: brewerchronicals.blogspot.com

Old 09-29-2011, 11:59 AM   #44
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Since there seems to be so much choice for minor variation I say we make some minor concessions.

Base can be Maris Otter or Golden Promise. Sure the flavor will be different but that might add a nice variety. I like the idea of a small amount of roast barley. Dark crystal would be a good addition but I think with the boiled down runnings and long boil will more than make up for the dark crystal if we leave it out.

The hops I feel should be EKGs. Of course any UK hops would be proper.

I want to use a yeast that will throw off smokey phenols at low temps. I personally do not want to add smoked malt. That's where I think there needs to be a decision made.

Do we add a small amount of smoked malt or just use the proper yeast at the proper temps to get the smoke flavor? I know yeast can make the smoke flavor. Granted it is probably the brett but in my 11-11-11 Old Ale there is a smokiness.

If no one wants to agree on the smoked malt vs no smoked malt then I suggest we split into two groups. Each half can trade among themselves or between both groups if the individual wishes. That might actually be interesting to do for a comparison.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:23 PM   #45
JLW
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm in agreement with no smoked malt and using the yeast at proper temps to get the smokiness.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is difficult to detrmine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln
Fine Creek Brewery

Primary: 12-12-12 Wee Heavy, Stone Ruination Clone, Bell's Better brow Ale Clone and Saison d'Hiver
Secondary:
Botteled: All Columbus IPA, Chocolate Peppermint Baltic Porter, Ewalds Altbier, Hopslam Clone, Scottish Strong Ale, Fine Creek Saison, Not so Pale Pale Ale, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Imperial Stout
Kegged: Indian Brown Ale

Old 09-29-2011, 12:36 PM   #46
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghole View Post
Since there seems to be so much choice for minor variation I say we make some minor concessions.

Base can be Maris Otter or Golden Promise. Sure the flavor will be different but that might add a nice variety. I like the idea of a small amount of roast barley. Dark crystal would be a good addition but I think with the boiled down runnings and long boil will more than make up for the dark crystal if we leave it out.

The hops I feel should be EKGs. Of course any UK hops would be proper.

I want to use a yeast that will throw off smokey phenols at low temps. I personally do not want to add smoked malt. That's where I think there needs to be a decision made.

Do we add a small amount of smoked malt or just use the proper yeast at the proper temps to get the smoke flavor? I know yeast can make the smoke flavor. Granted it is probably the brett but in my 11-11-11 Old Ale there is a smokiness.

If no one wants to agree on the smoked malt vs no smoked malt then I suggest we split into two groups. Each half can trade among themselves or between both groups if the individual wishes. That might actually be interesting to do for a comparison.
I agree there should be some wiggle room left in the recipe for individual preferences. I, for one, will be using Golden Promise as the base, and not adding smoked malt. There can be an option for the trade where each person can register as a smoked or unsmoked beer, and each person can list their preference to receive either smoked, unsmoked, or both in the trade.

For the oak aging, that can also be something up to the individual brewer. I've been thinking more on how I would want to imitate old wood, and I think what I'm going to do is buy a bottle of neutral spirit (whether it is vodka, corn liquor or whatever depends on what the store has) and I'll toast and char a bit of seasoned white oak and throw that in the liquor to sit for a few months. That should get a lot of the tannins and sugars out. I'll then put the stick outside in a shaded/wooded area and let it season there for another couple months before collecting it, boiling it, and throwing it in the secondary with my 12/12/12. Crazy? Maybe.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 09-29-2011, 12:44 PM   #47
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Something else I'd kind of like to vent about for a minute. A lot of people add their input to these collaboration recipes and the recipes get pulled several different directions. Finally something is settled on that is a compromise between dozens of people, but then when trade time comes around, only a handful participate. In the 10/10/10 swap I organized, I think there were 5 people trading. The 11/11/11 swap still hasn't been organized and it looks like if I don't do it, no one will. So I'll organize that swap and we'll see how many participants we have, but I can assure you it will be much much less than the number of people who tried to sway the recipe.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:38 PM   #48
BenS
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:

I agree with not adding smoke malt. This should be a fairly simple recipe.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #49
BenS
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Something else I'd kind of like to vent about for a minute. A lot of people add their input to these collaboration recipes and the recipes get pulled several different directions. Finally something is settled on that is a compromise between dozens of people, but then when trade time comes around, only a handful participate. In the 10/10/10 swap I organized, I think there were 5 people trading. The 11/11/11 swap still hasn't been organized and it looks like if I don't do it, no one will. So I'll organize that swap and we'll see how many participants we have, but I can assure you it will be much much less than the number of people who tried to sway the recipe.
That sucks. But with something like this, it seems to be the nature of the beast. At the very least it's fun for individuals to come together and formulate a recipe together and then taste the end results. And, I might like it if only half dozen or so participated in the swap, less shipping costs/person. I do understand your frustration though KBI.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:07 PM   #50
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenS View Post
And, I might like it if only half dozen or so participated in the swap, less shipping costs/person. I do understand your frustration though KBI.
Each person will only send to three other people no matter how many participants there are. At what can be over $20 shipping per package, that is still a lot of money.

Quick Reply