Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > 12-12-12 Wee Heavy Recipe Formulation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2011, 10:52 PM   #31
KingBrianI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierhaus15 View Post
If someone wants to use Traquair House's ale as a template, the recipe is basically 99% Pale, 1% Roasted Barley, EKG or NB hops, and some kettle carmelization that occurs over the course of their two-hour boil. They ferment in oak barrels for 3-5 days and the oak they use is very old memel (prussia/lithuania). Therefore, any oak character you may perceive is not from wood itself. Aside, the jacobite ale has coriander in it.

Smoked malt is not something I like in my Scottish ales and I will be keeping it out. Same with 'oak' in the sense of aging. Mashing, boiling, and fermentation should give us all the intricate flavors we are looking for.
It's been a while since I had the Traquair House Ale but I definitely remember tasting character from the wood. It wasn't so much that tannic/oaky flavor you get from new wood, but more a kind of musty/cellar type of complexity. Without having access to any really old well-used oak, I'm not sure how to replicate that complexity, or if it's even possible. Maybe take some oak and let it soak in some sacrificial beer for several months before boiling it and adding it to the aging 12/12/12? It's crazy, but I'm kind of wondering too whether I could take some oak and put it in a bucket or bag or something with some peat, and leave it to sit outside in the elements for a few months. I'd of course boil it before adding it to the beer, but that might leach out the tannins while picking up some earthy/musty/peaty flavors. I've got a big chunk of seasoned american white oak I use for "another" hobby that I could cut a piece off of to experiment with.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2011, 11:02 PM   #32
JLW
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
It's been a while since I had the Traquair House Ale but I definitely remember tasting character from the wood. It wasn't so much that tannic/oaky flavor you get from new wood, but more a kind of musty/cellar type of complexity. Without having access to any really old well-used oak, I'm not sure how to replicate that complexity, or if it's even possible. Maybe take some oak and let it soak in some sacrificial beer for several months before boiling it and adding it to the aging 12/12/12? It's crazy, but I'm kind of wondering too whether I could take some oak and put it in a bucket or bag or something with some peat, and leave it to sit outside in the elements for a few months. I'd of course boil it before adding it to the beer, but that might leach out the tannins while picking up some earthy/musty/peaty flavors. I've got a big chunk of seasoned american white oak I use for "another" hobby that I could cut a piece off of to experiment with.
This makes me wonder if you could smoke the oak? Just like you would meat. I sometimes use cedar planks for my salmon on the grill. The cedar plank always ends up nice and charred.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is difficult to detrmine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln
Fine Creek Brewery

Primary: 12-12-12 Wee Heavy, Stone Ruination Clone, Bell's Better brow Ale Clone and Saison d'Hiver
Secondary:
Botteled: All Columbus IPA, Chocolate Peppermint Baltic Porter, Ewalds Altbier, Hopslam Clone, Scottish Strong Ale, Fine Creek Saison, Not so Pale Pale Ale, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Imperial Stout
Kegged: Indian Brown Ale

Old 09-28-2011, 11:05 PM   #33
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 138

When my oak barrel is not filled with beer it is filled with water to keep it from drying out. the water is treated with citric acid and sodium metabisulphite to keep it critter free. this has greatly mellowed the barrel, and there is very little whiskey flavor left at this point. I hope to make use of it for this beer.

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 09-28-2011, 11:17 PM   #34
bierhaus15
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Yeah, I didn't mean to say the beer was devoid of wood flavor, just not the oak type one gets from adding chips or cubes. I always associated the oak character with, as you said, old wood. Like a really old canoe paddle or pair of snowshoes, if that makes any sense. I also have access to a ton (literally) of all sorts of white oak from all over the place. We have a wooden-boat builder in the family and I'm sure I could get some for experimentation. I was originally thinking of adding some aged oak over the course of a few days of fermentation... though how feasible is it to replicate the flavors derived from 200 year old brewing vats?

Old 09-29-2011, 12:39 AM   #35
BenS
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Where would someone get traquair house ale yeast?

Old 09-29-2011, 12:57 AM   #36
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenS View Post
Where would someone get traquair house ale yeast?
My recipe I found calls for Wyeast 1728 Scottish ale yeast

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 09-29-2011, 01:02 AM   #37
BenS
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
My recipe I found calls for Wyeast 1728 Scottish ale yeast
Ok. I thought that someone was implying that traquair yeast was sold by wyeast or white labs under a different name.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:12 AM   #38
commonsenseman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by statseeker View Post
I think this one is going to be a sort of "your mileage may vary" type of brew for most of us. As long as we can agree on the base type, the hop type, the gravity and the process, I think we're pretty much there.

Base, let's mostly agree, Maris Otter.

Hops, British. Target, NB, EKG.

Yeast: English or Scotch (whichever the brewer wants, from US-04 to White Labs British to Wyeast 1724)

OG: 1.090 - 1.110

Process: Caramelize 2 gallons first runnings. Boil 2-ish hours. Hop addition times are brewers choice.

Can we agree on that?
I can dig it.

It should keep us all on the same track, but allows enough freedom that they'll all turn out different. I'll be doing a really small recipe, probably 2.5 gallons, unless I happen to get different equipment by the time this starts.

"EC-1118 is a monster yeast. But it is also clean and quick. Like a humane serial killer."

1 Gal: Brandon O's-Graff
2 Gal: Big Ol' Barleywine
5 Gal: Graham's English Cider
5 Gal: Apfelwein

Old 09-29-2011, 02:40 AM   #39
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I'm thinking about going the opposite direction and seeing how much grain I can cram into my keggle mash tun. The other 'issue' is I'll probably need to get either a 15 or 20 gallon kettle to boil this batch. It really depends on how large I make the batch, or what I want my post boil volume to be. Factoring in loss to yeast trub and such, I figure I'd lose a gallon, from a ~10 gallon batch. Which means I need 11 gallons post boil in order to hit the volume to bottle/keg I want. Besides the bottle swap amount needed, I have a friend that loved my first batch, and wants some when I brew it again.

Trying to figure this out is starting to make my head hurt... I think I'll see if one of the brews on tap will help with that.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 09-29-2011, 02:56 AM   #40
Cromwell
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 132

I'd like to join in on this, but I'm a nub and don't really know how it works. A year from now those of us who are still around, and still have some of this left can exchange? What if mine sucks because I'm pretty new? What if I say I want to do it, but a year from now I'm moved into a small apartment and can't store the beer?
Also, is it ok to wait a couple of months to do this, when the ambient temperatures will be lower so I can ferment down around 60, since I don't have a beer fridge?
And our recipes can be slightly different? Like, I'd prefer Golden Promise to Maris Otter?

Quick Reply