Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > 12-12-12 Wee Heavy Recipe Formulation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2011, 05:00 PM   #241
commonsenseman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob View Post
I wouldnt be opposed to adding some peated or smoked malt to this one either.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob View Post
When my oak barrel is not filled with beer it is filled with water to keep it from drying out. the water is treated with citric acid and sodium metabisulphite to keep it critter free. this has greatly mellowed the barrel, and there is very little whiskey flavor left at this point. I hope to make use of it for this beer.
Sounds like a great plan, wish I had an oak barrel to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
I think setting something up along these lines could be most appropriate for this recipe. Giving rough guidelines and allowing the brewer to follow them as he sees fit. Something like:

OG ~1.100
IBU ~30

98% base malt (golden promise or maris otter)
~2% roasted barley
(optional) 2-5% crystal malt
(optional) 1-3% smoked malt

boil 2 gallons of first runnings (per 5 gallon batch) down to a thick syrup and add back to boil kettle

2-3 hr boil

british hops at 45 and 35 minutes

scottish ale yeast

(optional) oak aging

You know, just something like that.
In my mind, this recipe is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenS View Post
You are allowed to deviate all you want, but that's not the purpose of this swap. The purpose of this is to brew the exact same recipe so everyone can experience how the same recipe can be different.
Thanks for clarifying the purpose of this swap for me.

There are at least a few of this who won't be participating if not allowed some wiggle room. I will probably still brew something like this, but won't be swapping since my recipe with 1% Smoked Malt isn't good enough for some people.

"EC-1118 is a monster yeast. But it is also clean and quick. Like a humane serial killer."

1 Gal: Brandon O's-Graff
2 Gal: Big Ol' Barleywine
5 Gal: Graham's English Cider
5 Gal: Apfelwein

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2011, 05:18 PM   #242
Cromwell
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Ha. I'd actually planned to brew two batches, one with smoked malt and one without. I'd thought about providing a smoked one to whoever I swapped with in addition, if they were interested.
So, if this doesn't work out in the general case, commonsenseman, I'd be happy to swap with you if you're interested.

Is it too much work to subdivide this into people who want a no-variation recipe, and those who do? I hate to see the idea crumble because of two opposing sides? What if the set recipe people identify themselves as a trading group, and the wiggle room people are just a different trading group?

Primary: Beer / Secondary: Beer / Lagering: Old beer.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:12 PM   #243
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2687 Times on 2085 Posts
Likes Given: 339

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonsenseman
There are at least a few of this who won't be participating if not allowed some wiggle room. I will probably still brew something like this, but won't be swapping since my recipe with 1% Smoked Malt isn't good enough for some people.
Dude dude dude! Your beer rocks ok? It has nothing to do with not being "good enough". Its just that, in the name of beer geekdom, some want to see how the same recipe will come out, brewed by different brewers, from different parts of the country. Its purely out of curiosity. Its hard to compare how different my beer turns out from yours, when you have a different recipe. Of course it will be quite different. There are NO hard feelings going on in this thread. Ill send you beer, you send me beer. I just want to be able to also exchange with at least 2 others that made the same recipe.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:16 PM   #244
commonsenseman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Dude dude dude! Your beer rocks ok? It has nothing to do with not being "good enough". Its just that, in the name of beer geekdom, some want to see how the same recipe will come out, brewed by different brewers, from different parts of the country. Its purely out of curiosity. Its hard to compare how different my beer turns out from yours, when you have a different recipe. Of course it will be quite different. There are NO hard feelings going on in this thread. Ill send you beer, you send me beer. I just want to be able to also exchange with at least 2 others that made the same recipe.
Alright, alright. Sorry for freaking out. You have a decent enough point.

"EC-1118 is a monster yeast. But it is also clean and quick. Like a humane serial killer."

1 Gal: Brandon O's-Graff
2 Gal: Big Ol' Barleywine
5 Gal: Graham's English Cider
5 Gal: Apfelwein

Old 10-20-2011, 07:37 AM   #245
statseeker
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Wow, we're all just getting along. I feel funny.

I will be trying this recipe with Irish Ale yeast at some point. I feel a winter warmer coming on.

For new brewers, especially new all-grain brewers: Check out my blog The New Brewer Chronicals: brewerchronicals.blogspot.com

Old 10-21-2011, 01:51 PM   #246
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 77

So which recipe is the main agreed upon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Ok let's see if we can get at least 3 or 4 people to agree on this:

MO or Golden Promise (amount variable according to your systems efficiency)
.25 LBs RB
1.095-1.105 OG
1.018-1.025 FG
35 IBU
Wyeast 1728

If anyone else want to add crystal, peated malt, oak, heather or scotch whiskey they can do so, but it would be cool to get at least 3 people on board with this, so we can do a swap based around a unanimous recipe.
OR

Quote:
I think setting something up along these lines could be most appropriate for this recipe. Giving rough guidelines and allowing the brewer to follow them as he sees fit. Something like:

OG ~1.100
IBU ~30

98% base malt (golden promise or maris otter)
~2% roasted barley
(optional) 2-5% crystal malt
(optional) 1-3% smoked malt

boil 2 gallons of first runnings (per 5 gallon batch) down to a thick syrup and add back to boil kettle

2-3 hr boil

british hops at 45 and 35 minutes

scottish ale yeast

(optional) oak aging

You know, just something like that.
I guess they are pretty much the same where as bottlebombers specifies an amount of roasted barley and KBs is based on percentage (and your system). Also, are we talking 30-35 IBUS on Rager or Tinseth? Def interested in this.

Is anyone in the D.C./Maryland area interested in splitting a sack of MO with me for this? Flying Barrel Sells a 55lb sack for $65, which is $1.18/lb

Old 10-21-2011, 01:56 PM   #247
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I think there are a handful of guys brewing the exact same recipe or as close as they can. That way they can compare their brewing styles/techniques. The others are brewing based on the guide so you have a choice. I just weighed out my specialty grains this morning 6oz extra dark crystal and 6oz roasted barley for a 7.5 gal batch. I'm aiming for 1.100ish.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:13 AM   #248
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I'm going to be brewing a special bitter tomorrow that's 93.3% Golden Promise and 6.7% table sugar. Beersmith estimates the color at 3.8 SRM, but I'm going to be doing a kettle caramelization on 1 gallon of first runnings to test the new pot and try to figure out how much color it will add. Should be good practice for the big brew. And a good indicator of how much color the caramelization will add.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 10-24-2011, 03:15 PM   #249
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Quote:
I'm going to be brewing a special bitter tomorrow that's 93.3% Golden Promise and 6.7% table sugar. Beersmith estimates the color at 3.8 SRM, but I'm going to be doing a kettle caramelization on 1 gallon of first runnings to test the new pot and try to figure out how much color it will add. Should be good practice for the big brew. And a good indicator of how much color the caramelization will add.
That is a darned good idea! I was thinking of making a lower gravity version of this and use the cake in lieu of a monster starter, maybe I should caramelize a gallon to get a feel for the whole process.

I have caramelized the first runnings on a 1.082 Irish Red, but I never took the caramelization down as far as I plan on doing on this recipe.

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 10-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #250
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2687 Times on 2085 Posts
Likes Given: 339

I was thinking about doing a decoction mash for this as well... I dunno

Quick Reply