Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > 12-12-12 Wee Heavy Recipe Formulation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2011, 03:46 PM   #141
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2642 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Sounds like we have a recipe formulation. Ill probably make an 80/- before the brew day to try my hand at the kettle caramelization, and to build my yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2011, 04:55 PM   #142
JLW
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This sounds great. I think the recipe I started playing with already is pretty close.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is difficult to detrmine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln
Fine Creek Brewery

Primary: 12-12-12 Wee Heavy, Stone Ruination Clone, Bell's Better brow Ale Clone and Saison d'Hiver
Secondary:
Botteled: All Columbus IPA, Chocolate Peppermint Baltic Porter, Ewalds Altbier, Hopslam Clone, Scottish Strong Ale, Fine Creek Saison, Not so Pale Pale Ale, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Imperial Stout
Kegged: Indian Brown Ale

Old 10-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #143
JuanKenobi
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Looks like the recipe part is at least mostly agreed upon, which is good since I have a sack of GP arriving today. I think I'll also do a lower strength batch to practice the boil down. I'm personally going with 98% GP, 2% roasted barley, EKG, Wy1728.

What I'm wondering right now is how to best anticipate my efficiency. Normally with a huge grain bill I'd expect to get something like 60 - 65% efficiency out of the tun, but in this case with the boil down and long boil I'm expecting a couple batch sparges will be needed to achieve full volume. Anyone have experience with this situation? I'm using a 10 gallon round cooler MT for a 5.5 gallon batch.

As to batch volume, I'm formulating for my normal 5.5 batch size. Now, since we're boiling down a couple gallons of runnings to what seems like will be a pretty small volume and then adding that back into the boil, there's no reason to adjust the batch size up for the purpose of estimating OG, right? I know this seems obvious, but I fee like I'm missing something and don't want to make a huge miscalculation.

I guess I'll get my answers out of the first batch, but would love to have a success before diving into this monster. Thanks for the help.

Primary: Black IPA
Secondary: Maibock
Kegged:
Bottled:
Pouring: IPA

Old 10-04-2011, 06:08 PM   #144
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanKenobi View Post
As to batch volume, I'm formulating for my normal 5.5 batch size. Now, since we're boiling down a couple gallons of runnings to what seems like will be a pretty small volume and then adding that back into the boil, there's no reason to adjust the batch size up for the purpose of estimating OG, right? I know this seems obvious, but I fee like I'm missing something and don't want to make a huge miscalculation.
Correct. Think about OG as the relation of sugar per unit volume. There is a certain amount of sugar in the grain and boiling it down or whatever doesn't change that amount of sugar. It is then divided up into whatever your final volume is. So calculate based on the final volume of your batch like you always do.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 10-04-2011, 06:37 PM   #145
JuanKenobi
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
Correct. Think about OG as the relation of sugar per unit volume. There is a certain amount of sugar in the grain and boiling it down or whatever doesn't change that amount of sugar. It is then divided up into whatever your final volume is. So calculate based on the final volume of your batch like you always do.
I knew that was right, but had that nagging feeling in the back of my head that I think I'm so smart, but am actually an idiot. Thanks for the reassurance.

Primary: Black IPA
Secondary: Maibock
Kegged:
Bottled:
Pouring: IPA

Old 10-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #146
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2642 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanKenobi

I knew that was right, but had that nagging feeling in the back of my head that I think I'm so smart, but am actually an idiot. Thanks for the reassurance.
I deal with that feeling on a daily basis

Old 10-04-2011, 07:38 PM   #147
JLW
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanKenobi View Post
Looks like the recipe part is at least mostly agreed upon, which is good since I have a sack of GP arriving today. I think I'll also do a lower strength batch to practice the boil down. I'm personally going with 98% GP, 2% roasted barley, EKG, Wy1728.

What I'm wondering right now is how to best anticipate my efficiency. Normally with a huge grain bill I'd expect to get something like 60 - 65% efficiency out of the tun, but in this case with the boil down and long boil I'm expecting a couple batch sparges will be needed to achieve full volume. Anyone have experience with this situation? I'm using a 10 gallon round cooler MT for a 5.5 gallon batch.

I guess I'll get my answers out of the first batch, but would love to have a success before diving into this monster. Thanks for the help.
Don't twist my arm to make a prequeal to the wee heavy. I like that idea think I might have to do something similar.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is difficult to detrmine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln
Fine Creek Brewery

Primary: 12-12-12 Wee Heavy, Stone Ruination Clone, Bell's Better brow Ale Clone and Saison d'Hiver
Secondary:
Botteled: All Columbus IPA, Chocolate Peppermint Baltic Porter, Ewalds Altbier, Hopslam Clone, Scottish Strong Ale, Fine Creek Saison, Not so Pale Pale Ale, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Imperial Stout
Kegged: Indian Brown Ale

Old 10-04-2011, 08:06 PM   #148
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I don't know about a batch with a boil down for me but a lighter version with a long boil certainly sounds like a great idea.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:21 AM   #149
statseeker
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

So I assume the Scottish Ale yeast is an in-stone part of the formula?

For new brewers, especially new all-grain brewers: Check out my blog The New Brewer Chronicals: brewerchronicals.blogspot.com

Old 10-05-2011, 11:20 AM   #150
BenS
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
So I assume the Scottish Ale yeast is an in-stone part of the formula?
It is a pretty important part of the formula.

Quick Reply