Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > 12-12-12 Wee Heavy Recipe Formulation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2011, 09:56 PM   #131
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2676 Times on 2080 Posts
Likes Given: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonsenseman
Well, if it's a big deal. Sure, we could do a poll.
I would say it is a big deal, since this is a huge beer, were all going to be sitting on it for a year, then paying a considerable sum to ship it around. We should definitely all be happy with what were making. Of course if we can't agree then we can't agree. I for one will be participating whatever the outcome.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2011, 09:59 PM   #132
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2676 Times on 2080 Posts
Likes Given: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI

I think setting something up along these lines could be most appropriate for this recipe. Giving rough guidelines and allowing the brewer to follow them as he sees fit. Something like:

OG ~1.100
IBU ~30

98% base malt (golden promise or maris otter)
~2% roasted barley
(optional) 2-5% crystal malt
(optional) 1-3% smoked malt

boil 2 gallons of first runnings (per 5 gallon batch) down to a thick syrup and add back to boil kettle

2-3 hr boil

british hops at 45 and 35 minutes

scottish ale yeast

(optional) oak aging

You know, just something like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI
Seriously, another poll? My interest in this project is dropping fast.
Alright alright, we'll just go with this then. I can work with that.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:16 PM   #133
KingBrianI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Alright alright, we'll just go with this then. I can work with that.
Like you said, people are putting a lot of time, money and energy into this beer, so it should be done in the way the most people agree with. If you guys decide a poll is the way to go about deciding that, then go for it. I just feel like it is all getting too serious which takes away from the "fun" aspect of it for me.

As an aside, I'm drinking a Traquair House Ale right now and it's really nice. Not one of the best bottles of it I've had, but it's still very enjoyable.

A few things I'm noticing about it: It tastes like a quad with a neutral yeast! I guess I had never thought about it before, but you may remember the crazy idea I put forth about kind of mixing the two styles. I guess that was still floating around my head because when I tasted it, my first thought was how it tasted very similar to a quad I brewed once. It's actually fairly dry, but the low bitterness gives the impression of sweetness. It's still smooth and creamy though, with almost no alcohol presence. It also has an almost vinuous character to it and I really do think I'm getting something from that oak. Not a tannic, oaky flavor but something more subtle and murky. A feeling in the mouth, a passing hint of earth, the sudden thought of dark and damp cellars. If I do use one of the oak sticks I'm preparing, it will be with a very light touch.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 10-03-2011, 10:43 PM   #134
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Old 10-03-2011, 11:46 PM   #135
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Wow, lots of strong ideas here. For what it's worth, I'd like to see the recipe and swap done to include as many people as possible, rather than exclude them for various reasons. Guideline recipe and all is fine by me. Many of us are going to have to make substitutions anyway based off of available ingredients, so why make things difficult.

As for problems with wort reduction, once the syrup starts to get thick, you can always transfer it to a pot in the oven. That prevents scorching issues, though you still have to worry about a nasty boil over.

With regards to the large grainbill, one could always adjust for a 4 gallon recipe. I know it sucks to brew less at a time, but some big beers demand it. Think of it as an excuse to brew this twice, for an 8 gallon total, for instance!

Oh, and nice pic of the Traq, Brian. Where the hell is the 11/11/11 swap page? I haven't seen it anywhere.

Don't worry, be hoppy.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:59 PM   #136
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Here you go:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f38/11-1...thread-271674/

Still plenty of time to sign up!

Old 10-04-2011, 01:38 AM   #137
commonsenseman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

That looks delicious! Way on the low end ABV-wise for a Wee Heavy too.

Guld: I'll probably be making a smaller batch, possibly two of them since it'll be aging so long.

"EC-1118 is a monster yeast. But it is also clean and quick. Like a humane serial killer."

1 Gal: Brandon O's-Graff
2 Gal: Big Ol' Barleywine
5 Gal: Graham's English Cider
5 Gal: Apfelwein

Old 10-04-2011, 05:33 AM   #138
Cromwell
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
I think setting something up along these lines could be most appropriate for this recipe. Giving rough guidelines and allowing the brewer to follow them as he sees fit. Something like:

OG ~1.100
IBU ~30

~2% roasted barley

boil 2 gallons of first runnings (per 5 gallon batch) down to a thick syrup and add back to boil kettle

2-3 hr boil

scottish ale yeast

(optional) oak aging

+1 This seems to provide enough flexibility to keep people happy, but they'll all be similar enough to be fun to compare. Too bad everyone's already brewed this.

Primary: Beer / Secondary: Beer / Lagering: Old beer.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:25 AM   #139
statseeker
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think I might end up using Irish Ale yeast for this one. It sounds like it has roughly the characteristics that KB described in the Traquair. Especially in this type of ale, its attenuation is good.

Irish Ale 1084

From Wyeast:

"This versatile yeast ferments extremely well in dark worts. It is a good choice for most high gravity beers. Beers fermented in the lower temperature range produce a dry, crisp profile with subtle fruitiness. Fruit and complex esters will increase when fermentation temperatures are above 64°F (18°C)."

Mine will definitely be above 64 most of the time. I might oak it VERY lightly with a medium toast oak. I'm pretty excited for this actually.

Though if Scottish ale yeast is agreed upon as a condition, I'll agree to that and nix the oak addition.

For new brewers, especially new all-grain brewers: Check out my blog The New Brewer Chronicals: brewerchronicals.blogspot.com

Old 10-04-2011, 02:57 PM   #140
MDVDuber
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post

OG ~1.100
IBU ~30

~2% roasted barley

2-3 hr boil

scottish ale yeast

(optional) oak aging

I like this! Question on the hop timings - at 45 and 35 won't we get some hop flavor at the expense of bittering? If that's correct will that flavor still be around come 12-12-12??

I'm excited to participate in this. I brewed the 11-11-11 but much later than all of you so mine is just not ready to share. Glad to be in on the ground floor of this one!

Quick Reply